Right side Avid speedwing tank available - new

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

---SOLD---SOLD---SOLD--- THANKS!

Anyone need a replacement Avid oem speed wing tank? New, never used, supplied Jan. '06. This is the big one, 18gal, right side with cap.

[edit] add pic (left side sold)

728_d23a94bd25af356374f825f4883198ec5bed

Edited by dholly

Posted

Anyone need a replacement Avid oem speed wing tank? New, never used, supplied Jan. '06. This is the big one, 18gal, right side with cap.

[edit] add pic (left side sold)

Is this tank safe with alcohol in your fuel. If it is I might be intrested. How much do you want for it?

Posted

Is this tank safe with alcohol in your fuel. If it is I might be intrested. How much do you want for it?

Hello Ragwing- The left side tank with cap sold for $250, I'm open to offers if interested. This is a fiberglass tank, sourced from Airdale, LLC (successor to Avid Flyer Co.) with an Avid+ kit in 2006. It was made with vinylester, not polyester, resin. Polyester resin tanks are attacked by alcohol in fuel, vinylester resin fiberglass tanks are considered more resistant. Kitfox currently promotes and sells their fiberglass tanks made with vinylester resin as ethanol compatible, yet still calls then "resistant" rather than impervious or ethanol-proof. I'm not sure exactly what that actually means, but it sounds like double-talk to me?! Personally, I believe the only way to alcohol-PROOF any fiberglass tank is to use a tank sealant slosh. In their earlier kits, Kitfox recommended (and supplied) KREEM sealant with fiberglass wing tanks but I feel there are better formulations today, most notably those based on phenol novolac epoxy resin. Regardless, many folks have been flying for thousands of trouble-free hours with sloshed tanks. The key in fiberglass sloshing appears to be proper preparation and application, as most failures seem to lead there. If you prefer not to slosh then the 5-1/2gal. poly tanks are your only other ready-to-buy option, albeit at a significant reduction of fuel capacity to the oem 18gal., and 2x the price as well. Hope that helps, thanks.