Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stick and Rudder on its top

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Indeed, always a good thing when one is able to walk away from a crash as we all say.  It states injuries limited to "a bump on the head",  I must say, and I've been thinking about this lately, given the limited crash protection in our little planes, it probably would be a good idea to wear a flight helmet. I'm planning on using one myself when I start flying again.  Head injuries usually are difficult recoveries in comparison w/the rest of the body. As an avid (no pun) motorcyclist, I can attest to that.  When I'm seated in my cockpit surrounded by all that sharp radius 1/2" tubing I start to wonder.............................hmmmmmmm........this really isn't that safe an environment.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

When you are upside down, you have to support yourself with the other hand before you unhook the seatbelt.  When my Avid MK with Jabiru ended up upsidedown, my passenger got the only injury of the day when he got a 1/4" cut on his head from the button on his cap hitting the top of the windshield and his head hitting the button.   I do have a helmet with headphones from my ultralight  days that I've strapped on when I did the first flights of some projects I brought back to life.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Dang that stinks that's a sweet airplane. I have a lot of respect for tail dragger instructors. Once your student get's you past that magical point there's not a lot left you can do.

Posted

Jim,

The guy who landed my Kitfox 1 in a big tree bent the headache tubes into nearly a U shape with his head and got 165 stitches in it along with a broken arm and other injuries.  I blamed most of it on the 3-point belts.

I will have the 4-point belts in my new one, and plan to cover the headache tubes with foam pipe insulation - every thing you can do will help avoid injuries.

EDMO