Banjo Bolts

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,

Where can I get a banjo bolt to replace the top nipple for the rotary valve oiler? It's a 1/4-18 npt thread. Thanks, Bryce

Edited by BryceKat

Posted

Hey Dimi3! Thanks, all the reference manuals I see our showing It's tapered pipe thread. Did you use the 12 mm banjo fitting? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

there should not be any standard bolts on the rotax engines, they are all metric.  I will look in my books today and see if they give the correct call out for it.

:BC:

Posted

Just looked in my leading edge catalog, and they show it as being a 1/4"-18 NPT.  Part # 11.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I stand corrected!  hmmm, what were they thinking to put ONE standard thread on a metric engine :lol:

:BC:

Posted

well, I have a 532 and I could fit a M12 banjo bolt on it --- sorry my bad I should have ask what engine! ---

582 manual says part 922245 - Angular tube 1/4-18NPT; however part catalog for 532  I have from 1988 says

part 924215 angular tube M12 X1,5 ---

Posted (edited)

Well, here is a news flash for those who haven't found out - The NPT at Lowes is now listed as either MIT or MIP "Male International (Thread or Taper or Pipe?)" I forget which - and the female NPT is now FIT or FIP.

and I am told that they are the same??? Or, is the shoe salesman in the pipe department full of bull???

Anyway, I bought a nylon MIT elbow fitting and used it in place of a 1/2" NPT fitting in my furnace A/C drain, and it seemed to fit just fine.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I should have said it was a 582!😄sorry.finding a banjo bolt with that NPT thread on it is turning out to be a real trick! And come to think of it, a banjo bolt probably won't work on a NPT fitting due to the fact of the taper. That's probably why I can't find them!

Posted (edited)

Bryce,

You may have to bite the bullet and go to the Rotax people for a replacement - Rotax Rick? Probably no snowmobile shops in your area?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, that is MIP and FIP for male iron pipe and female iron pipe.  You know we can't be politically correct with words like national. 

Posted (edited)

Paul,

All I know is what the salesman at Lowes told me - my machinist bible is about 50 years old now -

Actually, I think I still have one that is nearly 90 years old too - Maybe I need to read them again?

The international trade has changed things a lot - I had to start carrying two toolkits back in the 80's just to keep the bolts on the old Chevy tightened because some of the bolts had been changed to metric.

When I retired and went to Alaska to work and go to school, I had to get a new thread book on Tooljointing - We had never used that at Chrysler or McDonnell Aircraft.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, I wanted a more flush fitting unit, but am going to go with stock.