Fuselage Cleaning (Inside)

12 posts in this topic

Posted

All,

Hope this is the right place to start this thread.

The inside of my fuselage is filthy. The Avid Flyer has sat inside the hanger since 2003.

It is sitting on floats, and so the fuselage is in a level position. There is a additional 9 gallon fuel tank in the rear (directly below the turtle deck). Sometime between 2003 and when I made the purchase this past summer, the rear fuel tank leaked and mixed with hydraulic fluid (retractable gear and hydraulic brakes). Add a few years of dust and dirt, I have a big mess.

Question – What should I use to clean out the stain besides a match?

Anyone have any luck with certain types of cleaners?

Thanks,

Robin

post-839-0-62157000-1414017215_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have used simple green extreme with good results (get the aircraft cleaner so it does not start corroding things).  I think Castrol makes an "aviation cleaner" in a purple container that I found a tthe auto parts store, it worked really well for taking the grime off the belly of the plane.  either one you may use, make sure you flush it out with water really good.  I would think you have some drains on the bottom of the fuse with seaplane gromets on them.  If not, I would be putting some in.  I have a few right in front of each cross tube in the fuse where water could puddle.  The turtle decks do leak in some water and you want to make sure that can get out.

Straight gas on a rag works pretty good to soften up the thickened hyrdo fluid mess too..

:BC:

Posted

Forgot to mention that you have one sexy looking bird there!!  If I didn't live in the land of big rocks and heavy loads to haul I would be really jealous of your floats!

Posted

Yeah, I already mentioned I'm jealous of his floats.  If you decide to use a match, take the floats off first please!  :lmao:

Sorry to hear about the mess, that won't be any fun to get cleaned up, particularly with the plane up high and level.

Posted

I would use gasoline, and use it to clean the carbon off the belly and gear legs on my bird. It's a lot cheaper than cleaners and does just as good-just check and make sure your not taking off the finish. Good luck

Posted

3M Sharpshooter.  

Best spot cleaner/degreaser I've ever used.

Posted

Thanks All,

I will report on what works best.

Robin

Posted

Robin, I've got some cleaning to do, what did you end up using?

Posted

Great looking bird Robin!  Those floats look great.

+1 on the Simple Green.

Posted

I would use gasoline, and use it to clean the carbon off the belly and gear legs on my bird. It's a lot cheaper than cleaners and does just as good-just check and make sure your not taking off the finish. Good luck

WD40 I've found to be a less volatile but just as effective petrochemical comparable cleaner to gasoline I must say.:2cent:

2 people like this

Posted

WD40 works wonders at taking off the chalk on an old paint job too.  spray a little on a clean rag and it wipes the chalk off and leaves it nice and shiny.  A good wash (I use the meguires car wash soap) and she look WAY better.

Posted (edited)

I would try Simple Green first. I put it in spray bottle straight and use it to clean my boat motors (two strokes). If that doesn't cut it....IF I used gas, it would be 100LL.

Edited by Fly-n-Low