Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FAA considering ALLOWING 2nd PILOT for PHASE 1 TESTS

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Article in this months Kitplanes mag concerning the possible rule that a 2nd QUALIFIED PILOT may be allowed to fly in EAB Phase 1 testing for safety reasons - Applies ONLY to KIT-BUILT planes and not to scratch-built.

Another article shows inside of Rotax Factory and some 912 engine details.

EDMO

UPON re-reading the article, I found a small note that AC90-116, allowing a 2nd pilot, had been approved and released 23 Sep 2014, and that the necessary OPLims modification  paperwork is still in review, but expected soon.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The way it reads now is that only necessary crew be allowed in the aircraft during phase one... in the interest of safety, how  am I spose to have my eyes outside the cockpit watching for traffic etc all the while taking detailed notes of various speeds etc... If it was ever questioned I would make the case that the second pilot (or engineer) was along to record data while I performed the sole duty of flying the aircraft and keep myself and the other planes in the area safe from mid air collisions.  I would LOVE for them to try and fault me and tell me that in the interest of safety I could not deem the second crew member as a necessary flight member.... As the Pilot in command it is up to me to determine required flight crew not some bozo on the ground... much like the tower telling you to do something that you cant comply with.. we have the right and the responsibility to tell the tower to politely piss off while we are trying to manage what ever emergency or flight condition we are dealing with at the time.

That being said, it is nice to know that they are trying to officially change it to make it more clear, however, since it is a government agency, I am not holding my breath that the waters will not be any less muddy.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the link Sed, this is a great step forward.

Posted

Jack and I were looking at this and the second pilot has to be a pilot that has considerable time in the same type and model to get enough points to qualify.  We kind of dismissed it since Jack does not have nearly enough time in an Avid or Avid+, but the primary pilot is not under these restrictions; the builder can decide to fly his own plane if he wants to as long as he has a pilot's license (SEL) in this case.  It is the second pilot who has to meet the qualifications. 

Jack, We might have to relook at this and decide which of us should be considered as the second pilot....

1 person likes this