Looking for nosewheel.

6 posts in this topic

Posted

A friend and I finished an Avid heavyvhauler a few years ago but it is a miserable twitchy little bastard on takeoff with two people on board. We think the gear is bent.

We would like to change to a nose wheel.

Does any one have a nose wheel to sell and the instructions to convert from taildragger.

Posted

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!  Doing the nose dragger conversion is a major knee-jerk reaction.  Lets see if we can help tame the taildragger first!

First off:

What model Avid is this?  A, B, C, IV?

How well aligned is the main gear?  Toe in?  Toe out?  

What condition are the Bungees in?  Are they tight enough?

What tailwheel is on the plane?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The main gear is different for the tricycle setup so the entire landing gear must be replaced to go to a nose gear. Sounds like it may be an alignment problem and also the bungees maybe need tightened or replaced. I am sure there several people on this list that can help solve the problem if you are not ready to throw in the towel. I sold the nose gear that I had a couple of years ago.

Edited by Paul S

Posted

Ray, I sent you a private message. Jim Chuk

Posted

I have a nose gear an main gear I am taking off the MK-IV I just bought. Let me know if you are interested.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen it posted, and I am not a fan of tail-draggers, but I think most of the problems with them concern the alighnment, tailwheel, and the weight on the tail - You can get more info from the guys that use them - I think that most are happiest with the Matco 8" tailwheel - donno whether that is the double-fork or not.

I know the J3 is very picky about which tailwheel is on it. I only had the standard tailwheel on my Kitfox 2, but it could have been improved with a replacement from Matco.

EDMO - Happiest with Nose-dragger.

BTW: I have a spring-loaded nosewheel attachment for the Avid - ChrisB had one on his Avid which has been pictured on the ad and on here. They sold new for $1000, but are no longer made. I can post a photo if anyone wants to see it. I sent drawings to Steve.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri