Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vertical Stab Tubing Model III KF

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I am making a mod to my vertical stab to accomodate a taller rudder.  I see the o.d. is 9/16. Anyone know the thickness?

Larry S.

Posted

I've do that mod, call me

Snaps

252 923 5145

Posted (edited)

Best advise I can give you, is to cut the top of the vertical post and measure the wall thickness - you need to insert a tube inside of it to make a strong splice anyway - I am guessing you have an early model something -  The Kitfox 4 stab is about 52 or 54", or so, in height -

I made mine about 4 inches less than that, and made the rudder extension taller so it overlapped the top of the stab to make a balanced rudder - I rounded my rudder at all outside points so not to have sharp corners which makes covering a little easier, IMO. - It could be done either way.  If you have the early hinges, don't forget to put a spacer (1/16"?) between the stab vertical tube and the hinge tube, and the same on the rudder hinge. 

I also made the chord of all my tail feathers parts 6" more than the early Kitfoxes, and added trimtabs.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Original post entered in error.

As a can't find a way to delete I would like to say hi to everyone.  I am a new Kitfox III builder and live in the Southern Adirondacks of NY State.  Site looks to be a great resource.

Larry

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

Thanks for the feedback.  Snaps I will give you a call.  Thanks

Posted

Welcome aboard Larry,

Lots of good people with lots of good info here.  Keep posting.

EdMO - Foxy Flapper -

Posted

Posted

I believe the more important question is; what is the OD & wall thickness of both vertical tubes of a Mod 4? The builder of my mod 1 extended the vert to be as a mod 4, but when flying it, if the rubber was fully deflected at cruise the vert would deflect about 3" at the top. This made be uncomfortable so I added guy wires.

Dave

Posted (edited)

The model 1 had a flimsy tail - If you extend it to model 4 heights, you need to do some reinforcing to make it strong enough. This would mean adding some support tubes, and increasing the vertical O.D. and wall thickness - one model used a square tube there, but it used the rods ends for hinges. I added a 6" taller dorsal fin to mine, along with more support tubes. I don't like airplane tails that shake when on the ground!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Which model used a square tube on the tail, Ed?  

My Mangy Fox is a Classic-IV and used the rod end bearing method of rudder hinge until I cut them off.  It uses round tube on the entire fuselage.  No square tube anywhere.

Posted (edited)

post-399-0-30568900-1415328722_thumb.jpgLarry,

I was thinking that the Vixen, or one of the model 5/6, used a square tube, and was shrouded by a tapered fiberglass cover, while the rudder had a round tapered fiberglass forward shroud cover - Have to check my books on that one.

I have both of the fiberglass covers.

EDMO

Larry, I have attached a copy of manual - the enlarged inset at upper left clearly shows the square VS vertical tube. I have other pages, but this shows it best.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the image.  That is quite a bit different than the system I used.  (I basically used the old 4 place round-tube-pin-bushing system it had previously). Vertical height increase of the vert stab was 6.5"  When together reasonably well.

Posted

IMO - You used the best system. The rod-end system made a larger gap between the VS and Rudder.

I think you will make a big difference in the way it handles.

EDMO