Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starting your Avid

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering if it is ok to start up your plane with the wings folded back or is that a bad thing to do ?  

Posted

I'd be very careful of the prop blast into the open wing root.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Bob,
You may have a fuel starvation problem unless you run off of the header tank. I would think that you would want to have the wing supports in place because of shaking? You might want to cover the wing roots with a garbage bag or something?  I'm sure it has been done before.
EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

OK guys, Thanks for the info. I will be running off of the header tank. I just need to start it to put fogging oil in it for the winter.

Posted

It should be ok. You can trailer them down the highway at sixty mph.

Posted (edited)

I do it all the time.  I cut some covers out of cardboard to put over the wing roots and keep the prop blast out of the wings. 

last time I fogged the engine that little red straw on the fog oil can shot right off and into the cylinder and ended up down under the crank.  Had to pull the cylinder off to get it out.

I'm chicken to stand there with my hand 6 inches from the spinning prop.  I run the engine, shut it off, squirt fog for a couple seconds into each cylinder with the intake ports open, then start it and shut it off soon as it fires.

Edited by tcj

Posted (edited)

Why don't you just remove the prop or blades if you are fogging and storing it???

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The factory says don't run the engine without a prop.  Some people do but say to turn the idle screws down before you start it or it could over rev.

I attended a Rotax two stroke engine seminar put on by Lockwood Aviation this summer and he recommended to do as I had done.  I told him about the nozzle flying into the cylinder and he said that was a new first.  I would still hold the nozzle with one had or remove it before squirting the fog though.

Posted

I didn't know about the Rotax - The instructions for my Soob belt adjustment says to remove the prop because it is too dangerous to be that close to it.

EDMO