Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Crimping new drag tubes ????

5 posts in this topic

Posted

OK I will have to admit we are at a loss here as how to get the correct crimp on these without a split on the ends. I have fabbed up several different sets of series type dies to try and press these out nicely...but always seem to have not so usable results. Has anyone made them to an airworthy standard? Me and my friend are ready to start building our wings and need to figure out the learning curve with this. The first drag tube is steel and the remaining 2 tubes are T-6 aluminum. If the aluminum is heated to make the crimp easier it chances destruction of the heat treat process rendering it useless. I know it can be done....and in other methods like riveting to a stub tube welded to a plate to match the spar tube... Kitfox design. We would like to forge ahead.....somehow managing to crimp a set of tubes soon .....any help appreciated!

Posted (edited)

You can buy the attachment brackets from Kitfox.   Why not make all the drag tubes out of steel?

Kitfox says a crack on the sides of the crimp is acceptable, a crosswise crack is not.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I made the tool

E mail,will send spec and pic

Posted

Any chance you can post your info here?

I made the tool
E mail,will send spec and pic

Posted

Per the Avid manual cracks are common, they advise to just drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it will not continue over time. I also chose to hysol in small wood triangle gussets inside the drag tube before covering.