Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rib Stitching (wings and tail)

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Question for those flying a Model III.

Any practical experience either way?

Consensus on Rin Stitching for this model?  Wings, tail, neither, one or both?

Posted

Per the builder's manual of the time, neither are stitched on mine and no issues.

Posted

Neither of my Kitfox IVs were stitched.

I am planning to stitch the wings and tail of my project plane. For no other real reason than I want to.

Posted

Have you considered staples???

Posted

Thanks for the feedback.

However, I do have to plead ignorance.  Just havent heard of staples. being used.  Is this a typical option for wood ribs?

Posted

necessary--- no however some would consider that it is in which case you might think about resale later. FWIW I stitched the wings and tail section of my avid it was pretty easy and not much cost or weight was added. It did take me about a day for each wing and a day for the tail. needles can be made very easily from wire coat hangers and you can bend them however you want to make it easier. regardless of the covering system you choose to use (I used stewarts) I would highly recommend reading the whole poly fiber manual http://www.polyfiber.com/products/proceduremanualno1.htmI read it twice long before I ever started covering. Its well written so not to bore you and has lots of very helpful information that can be related to any covering system you use, including the rib stitching process. also lots of great videos on youtube and the eaa website. keep asking questions the guys here were very helpful for us to complete our build. 

good luck

Posted

If you do a good glue job on the ribs, I think stitching is not needed, but is an option.

I read about the staples in one of my manuals - I think you might do more damage to your ribcaps if you have to remove the staples for a repair or recovering - I wouldn't use them - but still an option.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I believe I read where stainless steel staples were the recommended procedure for the Avid Magnum. I did rib stitch wings on a Kitfox 4. It was kind of fun and I'm glad I did it. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Just about like the covering process. Lot of worry before, but follow the book, and afterwards you say: "that wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be." Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

I know the Magnum had the staple option, but the first time I heard about it was when David Goode was building Airdale #1.

EDMO

Posted

The main reason I recovered my wings was because the fabric has come detached from the under cambered wing bottom in multiple places. They are stitched now. I've heard rumors that some of the early model VNEs were driven by no stitching but not positive on that. I would do it again and like was mentioned it's a selling point if you ever decide to part with it.

Posted

Joey,

I know that some had problems with the undercamber glue not holding - some of that may be improper procedures or too much shrinkage - I don't think that the Riblett or Speedwing ribs are as critical as the undercambered.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Mine were built in '92. The rib/fabric segments show absolutely no sign of any separation whatsover. The glued surface is certainly a much cleaner look than some stitched surfaces I've seen.  

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

We rib-stitched the J3 wings, per STC - But that is because the thin aluminum ribs are not as "glueable" - is that a word? - as the wood ribcaps on the AvidFoxes. Some later Piper models and others have a wire-like attachment which clips to the ribs.

If I remember part of my schooling right, seems like AC43-13 may have said something like, "rib-stitching is required above 150 mph cruise"? :huh: - and, it also gave the spacing of the rib stitches as closer in the prop blast area than on the outer part of the wings.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Rib Stitch the wings, it is easy after the first rib! It will make your plane a lot easier to sell. I'm sure glue and staples work great too, but people looking to buy a plane will cringe if it is not rib stitched.

Good luck,

Ron