Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Experimental Registration

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Everyone,

A Kitfox just came up for sale that I'm interested in but the owner is going to de-certify it before selling.

Any chance of getting it re-certified after purchase?

Thanks,

Doug

Posted

I would call a local DAR or FSDO and ask what is envolved. With the 51 percent rule not sure how that works on a decertified  bird.You would have to have it reinspected  and then would apply for a new N number.Good Luck Randy

Posted

Definitely check with your local DAR or FSDO since they'll be the ones you have to deal with to get a new airworthiness certificate.  You'll probably need the original builders log to prove it was 51% amateur built.  You won't be able to get the repairmans certificate for it, since you didn't build the 51%.  Without those logs, you probably are out of luck, and the current owner planning to decertify it should expect to only get scrap price for the plane, since that is effectively what he is telling the FAA he is doing.

Mark

Posted

The EAA supposedly - I have not read it - has a kick-ass liability clause for selling a homebuilt.

If the guy doesn't want to use that, then it is "parts only" price if de-certified.

EdMO

Posted

It's possible but not worth the hassle in my opinion unless your getting the plane for next to nothing and you have a very good working relationship with a DAR. I just seen a guy chop a perfectly good skyraider into pieces and give away the parts to members in the chapter I don't understand it.

Posted

Ignorance and general stupidity causes good experimental aircraft to get destroyed like this.

Posted

Called the seller and the plane sold within 2 hours. Wow.

He is surrendering the AW cert for liability reasons.

I called the local FSDO and was told it "MAY" be possible to get it registered.

As C5 said, not worth the hassle.

The search continues.

Thanks everyone....