Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Removing floats for the winter, putting gear on - information requested

14 posts in this topic

Posted

All,

I will be removing the floats on my Avid and putting on the bungee gear, so I can fit it into the garage for the winter. I have watched a video on the procedure for a kitfox. Chain hosted the nose while supporting the tail. 

Question

What would be the best lifting point on the nose? 

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Robin

Posted

I've seen my buddy with a Rans s7 do this a couple times. He uses the engine mount to lift the front, tied to his hangar door.

Brett McKinney set up three tripod jacks, one at each wing to strut joint and the third on the tail to do the process.

Posted

I use eye bolts on the 4 wing attach points and a spreader bar to lift mine.

:BC:

Posted

AvidFox

I use eye bolts on the 4 wing attach points and a spreader bar to lift mine.

Akflyer - have any pictures?

Posted

I used AN42B bolts for the 4 attach points but I dont have a picture of the spreader bar.

Posted

Mission successfull

post-839-0-38348200-1416804681_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Looks great on wheels to .good lookin plane

1 person likes this

Posted

What did you think of the performance difference on wheels?  I actually climb better and cruise faster on the 1320 floats than I do on 30" airstreaks... I know, 30" are a bit of overkill, but I do like the way they soak up the big rocks and soft sand :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Dynomike

Posted

What did you think of the performance difference on wheels?  I actually climb better and cruise faster on the 1320 floats than I do on 30" airstreaks... I know, 30" are a bit of overkill, but I do like the way they soak up the big rocks and soft sand :lol:

akflyer,  The performance is awesome, wait, lol, I haven't flown it. I have a few small things to do before it will be airworthy. Aileron hangers have to be replaced; I have a few fabric repairs. Wings where they meet the fuselage need to be re-taped. A control linkage has to be replaced.

This is why I wanted to bring it home to put in the garage, so I have heat, and can make the repairs on these long cold winter nights. I have never done fabric work, so looking forward t learning something new. I also need to look the floats over, and see if they actually do float, and work the hydraulics over. 

Posted

Plenty of water to fly off in Tri Cities! I would love a ride in your Avid on floats.

Posted

I was looking over some of the original paperwork for my Avid.  Those Avid factory amphib floats were a $6,995 option - in 1990!  Take good care of them!  The stock Avid was a little over $12,000 - including the 582!

Mark