Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to learn and live.

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Want to take some fun out of flying... go to this NTSB site,

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

and type in the word Kitfox or Avid in the AIRCRAFT Make / Model box.

Sometimes it's good to know what might, and does, happen.

Posted

looks like alot of bad choices were made by the pilots, with very little to do with the aircraft... It is very easy to say in an emergency #1 fly the plane.. In training I has an instructor that refused to let you fly level.. turn you head and he was pulling the power and drilling emergency procedures into you.  I cant tell you how many practice engine outs I had, some all the way to an off airport landing to get a few "soft field" landings in.  Well when it came to the real thing happening to me on take off with minumum airspeed, no more runway, and lots of trees, I did not do the right thing that time.  I focused on a restart and got busy in the cockpit.  Let me tell you that 100' of altitude at about 60 mph in a pacer on floats is gone in about 1.5-2 seconds.  I am fully convinced that if it were not for the full lotus floats, I would not be typing this today.  All I remeber was a loud backfire, loss of a comforting sound, pushed the nose over checked fuel tanks, checked mags (prop was windmilling so it should have restarted), looked up and said oh shit this is gonna hurt ( I distinctly remember that) as the windshield filled with dirt and snow...I was nocked out for a few but came up pissed off and swearing.. The kids were running across the field think that Dad was a gonner and screaming so I climbed out as fast as I could after turning off the fuel and master.  For some reason as I crawled out I grabbed the keys lol.. I got out turned around and took one look at the plane, got even madder, kicked it called it really bad things and threw the keys across the field..(took me awhile to find them later on).  After we got everyone calmed down, we pulled it apart put it on a trailer and went to have Thansgiving day dinner... Could have been alot worse.  I have the full write up on the full lotus site with pictures..

Posted

I saw the pictures....ouch.

Your Pacer and my Vagabond had something in common...(like all short wing Pipers)... the glide ratio of a brick.