MKIV spinner diameter

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know the diameter of the original Avid MKIV spinner? I seem to remember 9 inches but want confirmation before I order one.

Many thanks

Chris

Posted

Chris,

I don't know the answer - but, if you are thinking for a spinner for the Warp Drive Hub, then SuberAvid gave the best option, IMO, and that was the skullcap spinner to allow easy access to the clamp bolts - Donno what size he used tho.

EDMO

Posted

Going with Whirlwind. Will buy from Kitfox. They sell a couple spinner diameters depending on what model KF it was. Want the closest diameter to the original Avid spinner, but can't remember any more and am not home right now to look at the cowl.

Posted

Remember Ed the Warp drive is for you!

Posted

Chris,

Yes, I am waiting for the WD blades to be available - but thought you were keeping the WD hub - so same as WD with Skullcap?

EDMO

Posted

My mk4 cowl has a nine"

Posted (edited)

Do you want an original unused fiberglass Avid one? I have one, with inner and outer backer plates. Jim Chuk

PS went to the hangar and got the spinner, it's fiberglass, not like the carbon fiber ones on Kitfox's site. Not priced like theirs either. By the way, it's 9 3/4" at the base of the spinner. It came with a MK IV kit

post-329-0-04439700-1418166448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Perfect! Thanks Jim!

Nine inch is what I ordered from memory today.

Thanks for the offer on the spinner. That's exactly what my original MKIV had before I started putting IFA props on it. It is a nice well made spinner. However, I am taking the lazy and expensive route of buying the Whirlwind spinner already cut to fit the Whirlwind prop. I have so many fish to fry on my Flat Avid project that I am throwing money at it wherever possible in lieu of my own time just to get something flying sooner than later!

Posted

The original spinner on my Avid Flyer Mark IV with a Jabiru 2200 is 7 1/2".  I put a new Sensenich ground adjustable prop on it with a 9 1/2" spinner and had cooling problems.

Posted

I found that a Rotax or Continental SAE-1 bolt pattern can use a 5" or larger skullcap spinner - A Lycoming SAE-2 needs a 6" to clear the bolt heads.  These are the easiest to remove for blade adjustment since you only have one bolt to take off.

EDMO