Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gas line antifreeze?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

What are people using for fuel system antifreeze? I have the soob install with automotive type carb. Just wondering if adding methyl hydrate is a bad idea considering the fiberglass tanks?

Posted

I put some methyl hydrate in mine and notice the fuel had a yellowish colour to it in the filters so I think it started  loosening the resin ,I drained it all out so I dont think I would try it again ,dont know what is safe to use

Posted

Adding methyl hydrate is an extremely bad idea with fiberglass tanks.

If you have good, uncontaminated fuel, why do you need to add anything, anyway?

Posted

I am real fussy about my fuel, buying only non ethanol and keeping everything totally clean. Still it will form frost condensation inside the tanks unless they are right full. I do have the water drain at the very bottom and don't have problems with water accumulation. Yesterday though I went out and after trying to start it and then deciding I better pre heat it leaked fuel right through the engine and out the exhaust. Needle valve not seated. I assume a little frost because after I warmed everything up it was fine.

Posted (edited)

1.  Get a heated hanger.

2.  Move South.

3.  Only fly the one month a year it gets warm there!  :lol:

Just Kidding - I wish I had a cure for that problem!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I can't move south...they're paying me way to much up here! I am dreaming about the hanger I admit. What about isopropyl in fuel. I think snowmobilers use it lots.

Posted

I've noticed it in mine in the winter too but it has never accumulatd enough to be a problem.  I always fill my tanks through a Mr. Funnel to strain out as much water and ice crystals as possible, and then stick the tanks before every flight.  I have never had it become a problem but have made it a practice of switching back and forth on the tanks as I fly so I don't run one completely dry and then switch and find out I have a problem.  I am not about to put any kind of alcohol in them.

Posted

The turbine engines use a product called PRIST in their jet fuel to prevent ice from forming - Just guessing, that it may be alcohol-based, and sure wouldn't put any into fiberglas tanks.

EDMO