Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1 degree twist

5 posts in this topic

Posted

hey guys kitfox is using 1 degree twist in there wings, at the spars being 30 inches, how tall will that make my block for setting my twist.

Posted (edited)

The Kitfox manual says to use a 1/2 inch block at the tip of the spar in the newer manuals.
One degree = .0175 inches per inch - multiply that times center to center of spars, which I believe is 27 1/2 inches, and not 30 inches.
the dihedral of the wings is also one degree, measured with a .810 or 13/16 inch block on the end of a 4 foot level on the front spar between fuselage and strut.
EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info. sorry spars are 30 outside to outside wasn't sure where I should measure.  I wish I could set the dihedral at 1 degree I'm afraid if I do that my strut will not line up with my lower bracket. with out bending the lower bracket down or bending the strut up ha. and I'm not doing that. 

Edited by TJay

Posted

Good call only using the 1/2" block.  I seriously wish I would have done that on mine!!  Maybe once I get the 180 back in the air I will bite the bullet and rebuild my wings with only 1/2" washout in them.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the info. sorry spars are 30 outside to outside wasn't sure where I should measure.  I wish I could set the dihedral at 1 degree I'm afraid if I do that my strut will not line up with my lower bracket. with out bending the lower bracket down or bending the strut up ha. and I'm not doing that. 

This is where I have some disagreement with the Avid manual which says to locate your strut-spar fittings by placing a vertical post under the strut-fuselage fitting to support the strut - I think that this post should be set at 91 degrees from the spar instead of 90 degrees, and that would place your spar fittings in the right place to give you that 1 degree of dihedral.   Kitfox just gives you a location in inches from the end of the spar, and this is different depending on which model of Kitfox you have.

EdMO