Oratex covering

74 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody ever use this stuf,f I read a few success stories this morning and see a Kitfox guy is using it the Oratex 6000 looks tough as nails. and at 4 oz per yard that's light as a feather.

Posted (edited)

I see someone on Team Kitfox figured it would cost $6100 for materials if I'm remembering right. I think one could do it with poly fibre and uncertified fabric for 1/3 of that. Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I see someone on Team Kitfox figured it would cost $6100 for materials if I'm remembering right. I think one could do it with poly fibre and uncertified fabric for 1/3 of that. Jim Chuk

I like the "no paint concept", but Oratex 6000 might end up costing more than that -

TJay, you already have the fabric, so that should lower your cost even more.  Then, your only money-saving option is going with the standard dope instead of doing it in Urethane.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Oh I don"t want to use it I just saw it and thought it looks like a nice system. No I love to paint my own personal touch on my airplanes this is the way I like them to look when I'm finished

post-999-0-46479700-1419297343_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-87456400-1419297382_thumb.jpg

Edited by TJay

Posted

Tjay, what kinda bird is that?

:BC:

Posted

That was a little single seat fisher avenger I did a couple years ago, first tail dragger flight was in that, ha well just say I made it ok but it wasn't the best landing I ever had.

Posted

Should be able to spot that paint job from air or ground.

EdMO

Posted

Looks like a Minimax to me…  Must be the same thing as a Zenair vs Savannah.

Posted

Actually Wayne Ison did some contract work for Fisher flying products. He designed the Avenger, and was the founder of TEAM aircraft which produced the Mini-max, Hi-max, and Airbike kits. That explains why the Avenger and the Mini-max look so much alike. Jim Chuk

Posted

The rudder is what threw me.. I thought it was a minimax as well Larry but something was just not quite right about it :lol:  Cool planes, I helped a guy work on one when I was 14 or 15 in Seldovia.

Posted (edited)

I have a team minimax as a hangar-mate. Black and red, too.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Back to the Oratex, I am putting 600 on my kitfox wings and it is a pretty sweet system.  Definitely a huge time saver.  I think I have about $2000 in the material for the wings.   The 600 is definitely tougher than the ceconite I have on the rest of the plane, but not as tough as the 6000.  If I was to do the whole plane, I'd do the areas prone to rock damage with 6000 and the rest with 600.  The only issue I see with it is it is difficult to get it tight in areas with alumnium underneath.  I put aluminum lids on my fiberglass wing tanks, and I've had trouble getting it to shrink enough. I think I'm just not getting aggressive enough with the heat.  I'll be back to it in a few weeks and post some pictures. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Dave, hurry up and get that bugger back in the air, your missing all the really crappy flying weather we have had lately :lol:

Posted

Dave;

Any updates and/or pics?  If you had to start from scratch would you go the Oratex route for your whole bird?  I am guessing the fusalage/tail feathers takes about the same material as the wings, or would it be more?  Just trying to see if the $6,100 estimate is good number.

Posted

Since I'm not done yet to know how much scrap I ended up with, I don't know how much it takes to cover a kitfox, but I'm guessing your $6100 number is probably conservative.   I think the exchange rate has some impact on the price too.   But I wouldn't look at it that way.   I would look at it from the perspective of what is the best long term product.  Buy what you need for the wings and get those done..  If you have scraps big enough, do the tail feathers.  By then, you will have a pretty good idea on what you need for the rest of the fuselage, and your bank account will be pumped up again.  I would definitely use the oratex for the whole bird.  The only down side is that it is a bit tough to do fancy color schemes without resorting to painting the accent color.  But that is definitely not the end of the world.  I just don't have any experience with that yet.  As far as the sales job from Lars, he has been very helpful to me, and pretty much everything has been as advertized with the exception of getting everything I needed the first shot.  The factory screwed up and didn't send out the glue with the fabric.  Took another 3 weeks or so to get the glue.  Hope that helps.  

Posted

So you can paint accent colors? that would be nice, this stuff does look fast. and it says 4 oz per yard, anybody know what poly is per yard with sealer and paint?

Posted

you can sort of extrapolate.. the Average cub takes 45 yards of fabric and the complete weight of the fabric and dried paint adds up to 40-50 pounds depending on how heavy you spray it.  That is using the 2.8 oz cloth.  The average Avid takes about 35 yards.  All up, your going to be adding 20-30 pounds to the weight of the plane with fabric and paint.  In the world of aircraft, loosing 1 pound is very expensive.  I doubt the weight savings would constitute spending the money on the Oratex.  If you don't want to play with chemicals and want to get the plane in the air a bit quicker and you don't like or don't have the equipment / space / setup to paint your own plane, then I would say the Oratex is a viable solution.

Posted

So, the Belite Ultralight guys apparently use regular Dacron covered with vinyl film. Here is an article.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/370528/24

I wonder if this type of vinyl would work on the Oratex for the accents.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I used pressure sensitive vinyl for the side stripes and covering the struts on my Avid MK IV. It's the stuff sign makers use for lettering and stuff. Worked good till I lost an oil cooler line. Painted the wing trim though. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-54680900-1419981543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk
3 people like this

Posted

I think be-lite´s approach to cover is a good alternative to regular paint, I guess is UV resistant also right?

Regards

dimi3

Posted

Using ORATEX

I have just finished covering my Avid Flyer Model C with Oratex. I have used UL600 (certified for aircraft up to 600 kg) with the exception of the landing gear where I used 6000.

I have documented the process of using ORATEX on my blog  "The Avid Simonini Victor 2 adventure" (initially intended for sharing my experience in installing and using a Simonini Victor 2)
I have also posted a few films showing how I did it... Using ORATEX playlist

I'll be happy trying to answer any questions.

No, I'm not working for or sponsored by ORATEX, I'm just sharing my personal experience...

Regards,
Fred

2 people like this

Posted

Fred,  What was the total cost?  What would it have been to use all 6000?  How about posting some photos...

EDMO

Posted

Edmo,

ORATEX appears ridiculously expensive by the meter but as it is "all inclusive" the total material cost was very close to the quote I got from Stewart systems. That obviously did not include the cost of the paint job unless you do it yourself.

6000 is 40% more expensive than 600 at the same width but a true overkill for an Avid Flyer or KitFox... 6000 has been used for a Antonov 2... and the 600 kg limit of the UL600 is more than sufficient for us. 6000 is also 30-50% heavier (depending on selected color) than UL600.
When I covered my wings I used 3 kg Oratex UL600...

White UL600 (900 mm width) ship from Germany at 38,45 euro a per meter. For US prices contact BettreAircraftFabric

The best way to calculate the Oratex cost is to buy a roll of brown-paper and pretend to cover your plane with it. That way you can see how you can optimize the length needed. You will also need ~2 liter of glue and some pinked edge band. And a good iron and a hot air gun, both with thermostats..

There are plenty of information and photos on my blog

regards

Fred

avid.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info Fred.  I watched the wing covering video you posted.  You work a lot faster than I can - guess you are younger...Did you put the leading edge and Piper stripe on with Oratex too?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No, the Cub stripe is Corsair blue Oratrim strips on the fabric and doors and Oracolor paint on the hood.