Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wiring IVO IFA

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Dynomike asked me about the wiring of the IVO IFA using the polyswitches and the LED indicator lights.  I know it is on this forum somewhere from Chris Bolkan since he was kind enough to send it to me when I wired mine up.  This is absolutely the best way to wire these IFA props and I really like having the little LED light come on instantly when the prop bottoms out without ever coming close to blowing the circuit breaker.  The only change that I made to the circuit is to wire it up to the switches in my Allen stick grip so I have the trim on the forward and back switches and the prop on the left and right switches and the PTT on the front trigger switch.  It is really nice having this all on the stick.

I had a blank instrument hole in my panel that I included in case I added an in panel radio at some later time so I put the circuit breaker and LED indicator lights on this instrument blank and built the circuit wiring with the poly switches and the low voltage relays on a small piece of aluminum sheet behind it.  Since the switches and wiring on the Allen stick use extremely small gage wire I figured I needed to run these through the relay switches so I didn't fry them.  The SPDT 12Volt auto relays are common and can be found at any auto parts store.  If you don't use the in grip type switches, and use the IVO provided toggle switch, then you don't need the relays and should wire it according to the diagram showing the toggle switch.     

I used the low tech method of copying this information by camera since I had hard copies and no scanner so it is ugly but readable.  Maybe somone who knows how to use the search on the Forum can track down the original post from Chris and put it under this technical tasks section?

post-75-0-83656900-1419399848_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-42022600-1419399873_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-22469000-1419399908_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-23723000-1419399933_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-77650400-1419399975_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

hey thanks again randy ,a much better way indeed .ill keep you posted on the result when I finally get this prop running.

Posted

so I got my first flight in with the light ivo ifa (only bolt pattern I have)on the Subaru and what a change .the only time my plane has ran that smooth was when I took the prop off to track the belt. no need for the limiting washers as I got 5000 rpm wot full fine and was able to still climb 1000 fpm full coarse at wot,just one flight on it but I easily picked up 15 mph and only lost vibration.win win .completely worth the time to set up .now I got 95 at 4000 rpm ,and its barely even workin.now I got to get two more ivo for my other planes .cant believe it took me 190 hrs to go ivo.just waiting for my poly switches to come in so I can get rid of the breaker popping b s.

1 person likes this

Posted

Be careful running it without limit washers especially a Teflon washer on each side. It's easy to run it all the way coarse or fine and bind it up metal to metal, then your stuck.. it's a real bitch if it binds up full coarse as you can barely get the prop off and pulled apart if the lead screw is holding the blades at full pitch. Glad to hear that you see the same increases and pluses that we see with our "electrically ground adjustable only" ivo props. :lol:

:BC:

Posted

it does have the plastic washers in there now .theres one against the crush plate and one against the spool like it showed. is that alright to run or is that to much range? tried calling ivo but I think they are closed for the holidays

Posted

nope, thats good, as long as the plastic washers are in there that is all you need.  I took the metal limit washers off mine after they trashed the threads (just from vibration it smoothed the threads out) and IVO wouldn't replace it under warranty.  300 hours so far without the limit washers and no issues.  If your popping the breaker, your holding the switch down too long.  I just give it little blips of the switch to adjust the prop, on a 582 it does not take much to lug or over rev the engine.  I don't know if you could put a MP gauge on the subie to see how hard your working it or not.  I just run off EGT and RPM to set the prop on the 582.

Posted

I've had mine apart once due to it binding up. Keep the threads lubed up. I am guessing motors with more torque benefit more on the speed side. I am pretty confident I lost speed going from a 2 blade 70" warp to the 3 blade 72" Ivo. Climb improved though, it's def way smoother, and the ability to influence the EGTs with my finger tip is great. Glad it's working out for you. Report back after 30-40 hrs and tell us what you think. I had myself so convinced I was going to pick up speed that initially I swore I was but after 50 hrs and a few 100+ NM legs not so much. Granted I am being pretty conservative on cruise pitch settings but still it is not mind blowing at least for me. If I have any other issues with mine I am going back to WARP.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone gotten a blessing from U-No-Who about the "electrically ground adjustable prop"?

Alaska probably don't count for us Outsiders using a drivers' license!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Its part of the Don't ask Don't tell policy.. if they can do it with a label for a 180 hp CC then there is no good excuse for why we cant do it with a label to ground adjust only.  Some things its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I used the low tech method of copying this information by camera since I had hard copies and no scanner so it is ugly but readable.  Maybe somone who knows how to use the search on the Forum can track down the original post from Chris and put it under this technical tasks section?

Randy -

Thanks for posting this. It will prove helpful at least to me as I wrap up on my nearly finished project.

I find Google a useful tool for searching out particular info on various forums.

Try it if you haven't already. In this topics case for eg. type in the following into the google search block:  site:www.avidfoxflyers.com IVO prop

BTW, I've had good luck using a scanner phone app to copy docs and create pdf files. Jotnot has worked well for me -- essentially creates a pdf file instead of a jpeg which is far more manageable/readable for docs. Even though my iphone 4 is ancient, I've found all sorts of great uses for it such as a copy/scanner.

Edited by allonsye