Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

503 Rotax oil pump cable end wearing

4 posts in this topic

Posted

This 503 came from the factory without oil injection.  At 80 hours I installed an injection system.  The engine now has 136 hours so only 56 hours on this cable.  You can see it is worh about 1/4 of the way through the barrel swedge on both ends where it contacts the oil pump lever. I had the cable made by California Power Sports.  I have lubed it with LPS about every 10 hours.  Whats going on?

I really like the convenience of the injection and it is supposed to be better for the engine but this is no good. 

post-130-0-35242800-1420669680_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I did some more thinking about this and now have the engine out on the bench where I can see the pump better.  I think I may have had CPS make the inner cable too short.   To get enough slack for the marks to line up at Idle I had to set it up with both lock nuts on the cable adjuster on the bottom side of the mounting plate.  At full throttle the cable is pulling sideways on the pump arm instead of vertically.

I also remember thinking the mounting plate was bent so I straightened it out.  Now I think it was supposed to be bent to have a straight pull on the pump lever.  The first two photos show how I had it set up at Idle and full throttle.  The third is how I think it will work better.  I am going to take the engine over to Arlington to have it decarbonized and resealed next week.  I'll ask him about it.  What does anybody think about my theory?

post-130-0-99218200-1420677044_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-61384800-1420677060_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-70446300-1420677075_thumb.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

I had the same trouble with my injection pump. I ran it around 700hrs like that and had nothing but trouble. I cut a AN bolt and used that instead of the swedge. That worked much better, but it still wore through. Welded a washer on each side of the pump arm which did help. The vibration is so bad it kept wearing through.Finaly ended up taking the pump off and started to mix my gas.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Bandit.  I was wondering about using a bolt instead of the swedge.