Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Exhaust

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Just starting to shop around for engine parts her looking for a exhaust system for the rotax 582 that will fit in my fitfox 1

Posted (edited)

If the 532 exhaust fits, I have one complete from Kitfox 2. 80 hours TT engine.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Im not sure hopefully others will chime in here, and mabey you guys know what is the deal with kitfox service bulletin 17 it states you cannot use the side mount engine mount with 3.47 gears but you can with 3 to 1 gears why would that be.

Posted

The 532 exhaust bolts right up to the 582. The only difference I noticed was the exhaust ports on the 582 are a little higher/lower than the 532 on the engine itself. I am not sure if there is much difference in the tuning of the pipe/muffler between the two. I just swapped a 532 for a 582 in my Avid and it seems to have great power using the exhaust I had on the 532.

Dan

Posted

If you check the LEAF catalog, all rotaxes from 377-582 use the same muffler. Kitfox remodeled the mufflers they supplied with their kits so they will fit the Kitfox. Supposedly that cost some performance. Some say five HP. I have a muffler from a Kitfox 3 that has 60 hrs on it but am not sure I want to part with it yet. Jim Chuk

Posted

presently on Barnstormers

COMPLETE ROTAX 582 EXHAUST • $550 • FOR SALE CHEAP • this is a low time side mount exhaust complete with after muffler for 582 • Contact Bill Johnson located Shelby, NC USA • Telephone: 980-318-0498 • Posted January 13, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad

Posted (edited)

If you check the LEAF catalog, all rotaxes from 377-582 use the same muffler. Kitfox remodeled the mufflers they supplied with their kits so they will fit the Kitfox. Supposedly that cost some performance. Some say five HP. I have a muffler from a Kitfox 3 that has 60 hrs on it but am not sure I want to part with it yet. Jim Chuk

Are the 532 and 582 Kitfox Exhaust manifolds interchangeable ?  Would the manifold be included in that Barnstormers exhaust?  The ad don't say it is for Kitfox??

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

532 exhaust manifold might only have 2 bolt holes per cylinder, 582 manifold has 4, but spacing of cylinders is the same in either engine. Rotax sells the ex. Manifold, elbow, and muffler as separate items. Jim Chuk

PS there are 3 or 4 different styles of rotax mufflers for different mounting configurations

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

TJay, the normal 582 Kitfox exhaust is specially modified to fit inside the cowling.  I believe a standard Rotax exhaust would need modification or you'll need to do a fair amount of cowling work to mount it.  So it's best to look for one off of a Kitfox.

Posted

I am pretty sure the only modifications is to the elbow, other than that it looks stock.  The elbow was cut and shortened about an inch to keep it inside the cowling.  Others have notched the cowling just a bit and put the stock elbow on it and claimed 250-500 RPM increase.

:BC:

Posted

When My Kit was shipped from the factory there was no engine.  The invoice said the engine would be shipped direct from the Rotax distributor.  I tried everything I could think of to fit the exhaust inside the cowl.  When I called skystar they just said it would fit and I needed to try harder cause I must have the cowl on wrong.  I ended up cutting a hole in the cowl for it.  A few years later I saw another kitfox in person and saw that the elbow had been shortened quite a bit to fit inside the cowl.

Here's a picture.  The others I have seen had a section cut out in the center of the 90 degree and welded back together.

post-130-0-17966700-1421336525_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yeah that price is a bit high for me. I actually priced it out through CPS today for the complete exhaust, which includes muffler, elbow, springs, and header pipe varies from $428 to $658 thats brand new, so in my mind used should be half or less depending on condition.

Posted (edited)

For $500, you can have my complete engine, with mount, exhausts, carbs, throttle controls, redrive, and all the engine gauges and sending units - come and get it.

Jim says the manifold should fit yours.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm not sure if it helps, but here are pics of my elbow / exhaust as installed.

post-354-0-96444900-1421375680.jpg post-354-0-63083600-1421375679_thumb.jpg

Posted

boy that looks nice

Posted

Ed, which throttle control do you have?

Posted (edited)

I donno which control I have - There is a push-pull knob and then it goes to a lever which is connected to two cables???

Whatever came out on a Kitfox 2 - 532

About all I know about a 2-stroke is how to take it off of the firewall

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you want to part with the throttle control I would gladly shoot some money your way. I like the way kf did it versus the was mine is. It makes a much smoother throttle system!

Posted

Do you have a picture of that. It sounds like what I have on my Avid. I have a Vernier throttle cable pushing a lever mechanism mounted to the top of the engine mount. The lever pulls my carb throttle cables from a couple inches closer to the pivot. It seemed to work well.  I will try to get a picture when I am at the airport this weekend.

Dan

Posted

A few years later I saw another kitfox in person and saw that the elbow had been shortened quite a bit to fit inside the cowl.

Here's a picture.  The others I have seen had a section cut out in the center of the 90 degree and welded back together.

Yup, that was 'fix'. Here's a pic of my old model 3.

post-53-0-80600100-1421426375_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

If you want to part with the throttle control I would gladly shoot some money your way. I like the way kf did it versus the was mine is. It makes a much smoother throttle system!

If TJay don't want the complete setup, I will let you have it - There are ears on two tubes under the IP, and they are what supports the pivot lever - is that what you are thinking of?   Maybe I can take a photo?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

yes sir, thats what I am thinking of.   A picture wont hurt, but I am sure they are the same as the set up that Bob has.  I can built a copy of it, but if I can buy one its a lot easier for me :lol:

Posted

Ed, which throttle control do you have?

Leni, check with AkBob. IIRC he posted a 'wanted' for one of the under panel belcranks a few years ago and I sent him mine but I think he may have got a second one too.

Posted

Doug, I think he used it.  He just sold his Mod I and Mod III and I think I'm gonna get the Amphib from him.

Posted

Did you snag that magic prop?