Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How much fabric Fuselage and Tail Feathers?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Getting ready to cover the main fuselage and tail feathers on a Mod III and could use an estimate on ho wmuch fabric to order.  Anyone have a good feel for this?  Wings are already covered.

Many thanks,

Larry S.

Posted (edited)

Larry,

I hope you don't place your order on my guess - about 12 or 13 running yards x 70" wide? 15 yards to be safe....

Jim Chuk or someone else will probably give you a better guestimate. I didn't keep track when I covered the last one. I had scraps from wing coverings to use too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Ed.

Posted

I'm visiting family and friends down in SC, so it would just be a guess on my part as well. Fabric is 70" wide. I would do some measuring on the fuse and tail feathers and go from there. I've never worried about having some extra fabric around. About the time I think I'll never recover another plane, something happens, and here we go again. I buy the uncertified stuff from Aircraft Spruce. Way cheaper, and I think, just as good. Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I believe the first Kitfox 1 manual said 33 yards, and a later one said 35 yards for the complete covering - About 20 of that was for the wings with scraps left over.

EDMO