Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What adhesive to use to secure fiberglass wing tank

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I am in the process off adding a 13 gallon wing tank to my left wing.  I am wondering if it use RTV or Hysol to attach the tank to the spars before fiberglass wrap.

Posted

RTV or 3M 5200 and no fiberglass wrap on the ones I have seen.  5200 is some pretty mean stuff

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Kitfox says wrap spars with Saran Wrap before sealing tank to spars for easier removal, then use GE Silicone II . None of mine had the Saran Wrap, just Silicone sealer.

EdMOP

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the replys gents.

Posted

The manual calls for gluing (I used Hysol) and then wrapping the tank and leading edge with fiberglass that was supplied with the kit (chopped strand mat). I had the original tanks so just used polyester resin, if you have the newer vinyl ester resin tanks I would use vinyl ester resin for the wrap. Be sure to leak test the tank (balloon and mouth pressure to inflate the balloon and tank) and rinse it with gas before installing.

Posted (edited)

The new tanks need to be rinsed with 50:50 acetone and gas to get the release agent out of them.

I would council against using hysol I favor of RTV if you are not wrapping the spars with fiberglass. Wrapping the spars is an avid thing. Kitfox just instructs to glue them in place with their supplied RTV.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Mine are not glassed in, when we rebuilt bobs wings we didn't glass them in, when we put tanks in my buddies wing we did not glass them in.

With the amount the wings flex, I think glassing them in is a less than stellar idea and it will lead to tank seams leaking down the road.  RTV or 5200 so they can flex a bit with the wing and you will be in good shape.

:BC:

Posted

When I installed my tanks just a couple years ago I went to Kitfox and spoke with John, he sold me Dow Corning #739 RTV silicone to glue them in. this allows the tanks to provide the necessary structural integrity to the wing but still allow the flex needed and not crack the fiberglass tanks. This is what they use on the SLSA planes. They have it on page #28 of the catalog http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/product_catalog/kapartscatalog.pdfyou may find it cheaper elsewhere if you look around. I got away with 1 tube but had none to spare.

-Robert-

Posted

I agree with Robert. No Hysol, use #739 RTV Silicone Adhesive only for the newer Airdale, Skystar and Kitfox 'slip-in' wing tanks, ethanol resistant or otherwise. The only possible exception to my thinking would be the very early Avid fiberglass wing tanks that are completely wrapped around the spars with f/g mat. I believe those tanks were thinner wall than the newer wing tanks and I wonder if the necessary structural integrity Dean Wilson designed in would be compromised if simply glued in with the #739 adhesive.

Posted

Kitfox says wrap spars with Saran Wrap before sealing tank to spars for easier removal, then use GE Silicone II . None of mine had the Saran Wrap, just Silicone sealer.EdMOP

What manual recommends the Saran Wrap Ed? I don't remember seeing that in my KF3 or 4 manuals.

Posted (edited)

post-399-0-73007300-1421696296_thumb.jpg

Doug, It is in the KF1 manual - I have the KF4 and part of KF5.
I guess McB found something more expensive than the GE Silicone II you can buy at Walmart?  I don't know which GE Silicone they had back in the early 1980's, but I worked hard with a box knife at getting a tank out of my Kitfox 1 wing after it had been there for about 25 years - that white rubber stuff really sticks.  It would have been easier if  the builder had used Saran Wrap on the spars.
EDMO

Note:  I think that putting a row of rivets into the spar is a BAD, BAD IDEA - It don't need it, and none of mine ever had that.   That may have been left over from the metal tanks - STILL A BAD IDEA!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I also used 739 i didn't see much difference between it and any others that I have ever used. Also if you ever want to remove the tanks just take a piece of fishing string and pull it between the spar and tank, it will cut right through the silicone.

1 person likes this