Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maule Tailwheel - Exploded View and Parts List

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Not a Supplier source, but helpful info if you need to replace a particular component and are looking for the proper part number.

MAULE TAILWHEEL PARTS LIST.pdf

Edited by dholly
2 people like this

Posted

Wow. 43 unique parts that all should be in the garbage pail in the back of the hangar...

:)

2 people like this

Posted

Ha Ha Larry, that is exactly what I was thinking. :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Do I hear a cheer for Matco?

EDMO

Posted

I do have one question about the Matco tailwheel. I installed one in my SkyRaider yesterday. It is a full swivel, but it does not release real easy. The tail will twist before it lets go. Is there an adjustment to this? Never had a problem with my Bandit.

Posted

You can get different cam arms to make it release at 25° instead of 40° Are your chains tight?  When I had the Avid in the shop a few weeks ago I measured aross the arms on the tailwheel (matco 8") and I think it was 7 or 7.5" across from hole to hole.  The Avid rudder only had a 4" or 4.5" spread across the holes so I was never going to get the tail wheel to break loose unless I was on wheels and used brakes to stretch the spring.  I took a piece of 3/16" X 1" flat bar and bent it into a "top hat" shape _I  I_ that bolts onto the bottom of the rudder using the stock holes, dropping the ears down 1.5" and gave me the same width as the spread on the tail wheel arms.  This gives better geometry and I can now unlock the tailwheel even on skis when I really want to.  I have compression springs and run the chains just one link from being tight and it seems to work out nicely for me.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the parts list, Doug. For some reason my Maule installation is charmed and I haven't had any real issues with it. I know there are better options, but it ain't broke and I guess I'm not going to fix it... Now I've just cursed myself.

1 person likes this