Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

One builders upgrades...wing cuff info and other tips

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Found this with my recent barn find as well. This plane has the leading edge cuff built onto it as well as several other of these " mods"

Avid Options_Improvements.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm pretty sure this stuff on this file was done by a guy named Lee Dubay waaay back in the late 80's. neat to see it all tabled in one source like this!!!

Posted

Good info! I will gladly credit whoever the original writer of this piece was. i wondered how they shared information back before the World Wide Web lol. Yes I was born in the 80s. Sorry Ed not trying to make you feel old 😄

Posted

I was in high school in the 80s. You're making me feel old...

1 person likes this

Posted

I was in high school in the 80s. You're making me feel old...

I was out of college in the mid 80's... you guys are making me feel ANCIENT !

Posted

I posted those picks of the leading edge wing extensions a while back, ( maybe three years ago ) and referred to them in a recent post. And I was out of high school for 11 years in 1980. Jim Chuk

Posted

Will the wing extensions make me look younger?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I used 1mm (Finland?) plywood, 12" wide, top and bottom, when I extended my leading edge 4" for the weight of the Soob on my short fuselage.

I started to college in 1964, a year after getting out of the Army, while working for McDonnell Aircraft,  and graduated in 1995 after retiring in 1991 - Oh, I also did about 6 other years of schooling inbetween for my trades.  I am still learning, in spite of being a "Neanderthal"!   :lol:

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Let's see, in 1964, what was I doing? Hard to remember, but I think it was potty training.... :lmao:

I admire your persistence - glad you finished!  Most of Mom and Dad's friends worked a t McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis when we lived there.  I still remember watching the F-15's fly out of Lambert newly finished, that was cool.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Let's see, in 1964, what was I doing? Hard to remember, but I think it was potty training.... :lmao:

I admire your persistence - glad you finished!  Most of Mom and Dad's friends worked a t McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis when we lived there.  I still remember watching the F-15's fly out of Lambert newly finished, that was cool.

Mark

I helped build the F4 Phantoms and Gemini Space Crafts at McDonnell Acft.  My earliest recollection of planes was when a low flight of military aircraft, probably flown by WASPs, scared me when I was about 2 years old, in 1943 - I ran under the porch behind our country store with my dog and hid - got covered up with fleas, and Grandma stood me in the back yard and washed them off of me with the hand water pump, and it was cold!  Guess that put the flying fever in me?  Later, before I was very big, I would get to taxi the Stearmans that my Grandfather owned.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Cool - Loved the Phantom and the Gemini capsules - they were in a James Bond Movie after all!

The guy that I bought my Avid from was in the Pacific in  WW II, still alive and kicking today.  He showed me his original pilot license from 1940-something.  He and his buddy built it in 1991, when they were both in their early 70's, and they are both still alive.  So building an Avid in your 70's apparently leads to a long life.  You may or may not want to give the missus that bit of information!

Mark

Posted

Mark,

THAT may be where I went wrong - I am building a Foxy, not an Avid - but it is an Avid modified clone!

EDMO