Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finishing Tapes, any ironing other than shaping?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I am ready to install the finishing tapes on the ribs of my tail feathers (using the Stewart System).

After gluing (2" tapes), is there anything else required?  Any final ironing over the tapes or maybe just in local spots for a better lay down?

Larry S.

Posted

The edges come out cleaner with a little bit of heat. If you don't already have one get a model airplane iron they come in really handy for the tight spots. The 21st century one is really nice.

Posted

This is good stuff, I dont want to steal this thread but what are the smaller irons you guys are using, I would like to buy one but dont know what to get, when I covered my fisher avenger I borrowed one, dont have a clue what it was but but it worked fine. what you all think. I see the 21st century one you mentioned. it looks nice 

Posted

Iron down all the pinked edges if they are raised, or they will show through the final color.

Posted

I have some clear plastic, maybe about 20 mil thickness. I cut some pieces of it about 6" x 24" and laid them over the finishing tapes that needed to be ironed down. Useing the plastic, the iron didn't stick to the poly brush but the heat transferred thru the plastic. Used 3or4 pieces of plastic, by the time I ironed the last piece of plastic down, the first piece was cooled and would pop off the surface of the fabric. Worked way better than ironing right onto the fabric. Jim Chuk

Posted

TJay,

The Black Baron from Aircraft Spruce worked good for me and it's about $24

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/to/irons/iron.php

The plastic idea works good, but "oven bags" work even better...they are thin and can handle the heat. You can find them at Walmart near aluminum foil and wax paper. I used the oven bags when I found a pinked edge sticking up after putting poly brush on everything (primer coat for Superflite).

Larry,

I'm sure you already know this, but watch your heat closely when ironing your tapes (if using unshrunk tapes). It is easy to overheat them and get a funky line.

Good luck!

Ron

Posted

Thanks for all the feedback.  I am using the 21 Century iron and it works great,  Just to make sure I have this correct.  No ironing on the tapes unless I need to put down the edges (I.e. no ironing on the main portion of the tape)?

Thanks again,

Larry S.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the feedback.  I am using the 21 Century iron and it works great,  Just to make sure I have this correct.  No ironing on the tapes unless I need to put down the edges (I.e. no ironing on the main portion of the tape)?

Correct

Edited by Geoffrey Thorpe

Posted

WalMart sells a 18"x18" transparent teflon "Non-stick pressing sheet" for about $10, works great.

Posted

The nice thing about using several strips of plastic, is that you are actually melting the poly brush, and while still hot, it sticks to the plastic (or iron if not using the plastic).  The poly brush cools fast, and when cool it will pop right off the plastic.  By the time you iron three or four plastic strips, the first one is plenty cool so it can pop right off.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I am ready to install the finishing tapes on the ribs of my tail feathers (using the Stewart System).

After gluing (2" tapes), is there anything else required?  Any final ironing over the tapes or maybe just in local spots for a better lay down?

Larry S.

If your using the Stewarts primer you'll iron the pinked edges of the tapes after the primer coats and, before you put on a topcoat. Besides that there's no need to iron the tapes unless you see small air bubbles or wrinkles in the tape.