Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Painting waterborn paints with a power sprayer

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone tried to spray a plane using a power sprayer for waterborn paints (such as Stewarts System)?

Gun similar to:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Pa...1?N=5yc1vZarv5

Sounds a bit odd at first but appearntly there has been some success in this regard.

Anyone have first hand knowledge of experience with this?

Posted

Im sure it would work fine. And Im sure any airless sprayer would work great.

Posted

A turbine HVLP system is worlds away from a Wagner Power Painter.  

People have had good luck with a roller too…   Roll and tip painting

Larry, I understand that you are looking to be frugal with your finish system.  Maybe the best compromise between cost and result quality would be to talk to a local body shop about spraying the finish coat.  You are spending a bunch of money on paints.  Don't just throw it away with poor application.  

Your results may vary.

Posted

what type paint are you gonna use, like a DuPont CroMax Pro or something?

Posted

If you're going to use the Stewart System products, get their cd's.  Very important to follow the directions or you end up with a less than satisfactory paint job.  I used a Wagner Conversion gun because my compressor is too small, only 6.5 cfm, to run a regular hvlp gun, they take around 9-11 cfm to run properly.  When I talked to Dan Stewart about using a turbine set-up, he said that the heat generated by the turbine would cause the paint to dry faster than you wanted and would not lay on smoothly.  He suggested using an additional length of hose and trying to cool the air by the additional length or laying the hose in a tub of ice water to cool the air. My paint job turned out pretty good, about a 5-10 footer, but I'm not a good painter.  Which ever gun you get try to get a selection of jets, the primer seemed to go on better with a 2.0, the paint with a 1.5mm jet. 

I used the original Stewart System paint when the process first began, but finished the cowl and turtledeck usinf their premium paint.  The premium goes on much nicer and with fewer coats.  Check it out.  There are batch differences in the paint colors too, be ready to do all your painting when you start or you could end up with different shades of your chosen color.

A word of advice on having and experienced painter do your job, if they try to use the traditional method to lay on the Stewart System products it doesn't work out very good. Way too much much paint is applied and runs result.  The directions must be followed.  Hope all this helps.

Jackak

Posted

I know I hate to refer anyone to "the other site" but this has already been gone over with good results http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=415&highlight=wagnerI personally bought the Wagner Control Spray Plus and shot all of my ekofill with it. worked great. was going to use it for the top coat too but a friend hooked me up with a complete paint booth set up with air so I went that route. good luck

-Robert-

Posted

I had good luck spraying thinned out latex with a Harbor Freight gun. I attended a latex seminar at Oshkosh. Lots of people have had it work out for them. Check out Weinerdogaero.com

Posted

Great feedback guys.  Many thanks.  Yep, I do have the CD's from Stewart.  Watched them several times through teh covering process. Now need to do the same with the painting.  Did watch them one and see the pass speed is faster than I am used to (more like a fast fog in a way).

Posted

Whichever method you go with, please remember: the Stewart's top coat system is very, very toxic. It has an extremely high iscocionate content.

A full suit and gloves with a supplied-air hood is mandatory, nt optional.

1 person likes this

Posted

What you talkin bout Larry, the Stewart system is so safe you can drink it remember.... :lmao:  Well, they try to sell it that way till you read the MSDS for it.. YIKES!  I am not sure how they have not had the shit sued out of them for the false advertizing... well, misleading advertizing any way..

:BC:

Posted

Seems odd that they only recommend and show (in the videos) a charcole respirator.  Is there something out of whack here?

Posted

Yes. It's called image-engineering. They have made their bones on the system being so friendly and "green".

Please don't take our word, get copies of the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for thier products. By law these need to be available. This is where the true story is told.

1 person likes this