Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need a New windshield for my Avid A

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just obtained a new to me Avid Model A and need to do something about the windshield, there are no cracks, but if you are heading into the sun you can't see out of it. I figure I will need to replace it and was hoping somebody can tell me what thickness of Lexan to use. Thank You

Posted

I used. 090" on mine and several others around the area.  It was cheaper for me to order a 4X8 sheet from AC Spruce and have it shipped to my door than to buy local... go figure.

Welcome aboard to the site of misfits and fun lovers.

:beerchug:

Posted

another thought.  if yours is not cracked, you can probably polish it with a kit from 3M  it does not take too long and it will be like new when you get done.  I know several guys that have done it.  It works great on plastic head light lenses, motorcyle and snowmachine windshileds etc.

Posted

I will try the 3m kit, it would be easier than drilling all those holes in fiberglass. the next thing is to get it in annual and learn to fly. When my wife gets home we will put up pictures ;D

Posted

:hammerhead:

Leni, what we used was .060", not 90.

I tried the plexi-polish on my Focus head lights,

it worked OK.  Haven't tried it on the Fox.

Bob

Posted

well shit, I thought it was .090"  you sure about that?  Been a couple days so I dont remember.

:bartmoon:

Posted

Darn, I thought is was .065 Lexan.  If it is lexan, be careful when using polishing compounds, the coating is very thin.  I think the .090 is used if the windshield  flattens back against the tubes in the middle at higher speeds.  I know it is a bugger to get it to form the compound curve at the wing root. I'm using .080 or .090 on my Avid + and had to use heat to get it to take the proper shape.  With lexan you have to be very careful with heat too, the manufacturer claims that cracking will happen if the entire sheet isn't heated.  I had to use heat lamps to do it.

Jack

Posted

I checked the thickness on the two 4X8 sheets I have left

and sure enouh they are .060.

My windsheld does bow in but not much, doesn't touch the tubes.

Maybe I get back in the air when Leni comes home, @ 1 1/2 weeks.

Had an accident to my left hand, couple surgeries latter, will

be able to hold the stick soon.????

Posted

Idon't think it had anything to do with the polishing compound but I now have a cracked windshield. So the 2 thicknesses seem to be 0.060 and 0.080 is there any advantage to the 0.080 or should I just use the 0.060.

Posted

Look back at Jack's post, he outlines the difference pretty well.

Both of my Fox's had .060 material with them. The mod 1 someone

made, the mod 111, never built, also had .060 material.

I just replaced what they had.

The 60 is really easy to work with and 80--93 (aircraft spruce #) more

labor intensive to install.

Bob

Posted

I looked back on my constuction log.  I originaly put .090 in mine, but it cracked before I ever flew it.  I replaced it with .060" and then again with .060 after a fuel over flow issue.  The .060 is easy to work with and you can have your windshield replaced in a couple hours of dedicated work.

If polishing it made it crack, she was getting too damn brittle anyway. 

Posted

Using the polishing compound didn't cause it to crack, applying too much heat in one area can cause it to crack.  Just spread the heat around.  The coating on lexan is critical to its standing up to cleaners and such.  When gas gets on it, the lexan is attacked from the screw holes and edges.  Wham, an instant mess!  Mine happened on the "c" model when gas came out the overhead vent, since removed, brand new windshield and side window ruined.

Jack

Posted

dang Jack, mine was the exact same thing.. I installed the overhead vent per the book and service bulletin... first time I took it out and flew it, I brought it home and put it in the garage.  It was winter and naturally cold out.  I had closed the shutoff valves from the wing tanks, so as the header tank warmed up, there was nowhere for it to go other than out the vent on my brand new windshield, and side windows.  Kids woke me up about 3:00 in the AM and said... uhhh dad...  Ithink there is a problem with your plane... I got up and was instantly PISSED OFF.  Yanked the vent system out and started drilling out the rivets for the windshield.  Of course, on the 3rd to last rivet, I slipped and put the drill thru my nice new wing.  HOLY CRAP.  people scattered as I unleashed a string of bad words that would have made a sailor run for cover.  Oh, and the A&P was coming over later that day to do my condition inspection... NICE.  I replaced the windshield (thanks Bob for you help on that one) side windows and put a quick patch on the wing (oh yeah, she went thru top to bottom).  At the end of the day, the plane was signed off, had its first hangar rash and first patch so now I dont feel bad about going out and dragging the tail thru the pickers and getting rock dings on it.