Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oil injection tank location

8 posts in this topic

Posted

hey guys is the oil on a 582 gravity feed like it is on the 503. The reason I am asking when my plane sits on the tail-wheel, I level back to the fire wall to see where the bottom of my tank needs to be while on the ground or in a climb, that does not leave me much room for any size tank. Or am I looking at this wrong and the oil pump has suction?

Posted

The oil pump has a VERY limited suction on it.  you should be able to install the oil tank up high on the firewall per the plans or use the newer KF oil tank that holds a couple quarts.  My cap just clears the cowling by about a 1/4".

:BC:

Posted

post-54-0-62039600-1423706045_thumb.jpg

I'll try to post a pic of where I put my oil tank

Posted

I have an original brand new Avid Tank. You can see it in the bottom left corner of this pic. Welcome to it if you can use it.

IMG_0505.jpg

Posted

My 532 oil tank was mounted on the side of the engine.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

This tank is off a 1996 Ski Doo Scandic.  I think it holds 2.5 Qts.  I installed it with the outlet level with the pump inlet in 3 point attitude.  When I switched to the 22" King Fox tires the outlet is now about an inch lower than the pump inlet in 3 point.  There is room to move it higher on the fire Wall but I decided there isn't much to gain as the oil left in the tank if near empty is only what's in the sump at the bottom of the tank.

With your big tires and monster gear you may have to sacrifice a few ounces in the bottom of the tank to "Unusable" oil.

post-130-0-26191600-1423752832_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-93828700-1423752839.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

that is really close to the same tank I got Ill just make sre to take off with a couple inches of oil in the tank thanks and P.S. I like the way you worded that big tires monster gear :)

Posted

I like to keep the oil bottle full... that is one thing I never push the envelope on... if I run out of gas, I will hopefully be able to make a good landing, make the call of shame and get some gas brought to me.  If I run out of oil, that call of shame includes a new engine to be field installed as a best case scenario :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this