Avid model D window install problems?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all as some of you already know I've purchased a avid flyer model D. It's 80% finished as I received it and it's at the point in construction to install the dash/panel and windscreen. The original builder purchased the mk4 cowling and has it split horizontally on either side. I've already got the window clecoed to the roof and clamped in place and i've temporarily mounted the dashboard and panel. The problem is when mounting the cowling the dashboard doesn't come close to lining up with the cowling lip as the manual states it should. Does anyone know if the dashboard is any different on the model d and mk4?

Thanks

Bill

Posted

I believe the model D and Mk IV are the same plane.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Jim thanks for the response. I may have a model c with all mk4 upgrades but the rudder. Do you know if the model c and mk4 use the same dashboard? Just trying to figure out why mine is so far off? I'll try and post some pics of the problem tomorrow.

Thanks

Bill

Posted (edited)

Also if anybody has pictures of the glare shield, and windshield where they all come together up front would be nice too, That way I know how to do my kitfox 1 when I get there. I eliminated my front fuel tank so I can have a nice big instrument panel similar to the kitfox 3 and 4 setup, really just not sure if the windshield attaches to the glare shield or how they come together. Hopping pictures will help me and Bill.

Edited by TJay

Posted

Also if anybody has pictures of the glare shield, and windshield where they all come together up front would be nice too, That way I know how to do my kitfox 1 when I get there. I eliminated my front fuel tank so I can have a nice big instrument panel similar to the kitfox 3 and 4 setup, really just not sure if the windshield attaches to the glare shield or how they come together. Hopping pictures will help me and Bill.

Yours should be in the manual - don't know if Avid is the same?

EDMO

Posted

Try changing the angle, move the front of the dash up or down,( it's mounted on little rubber thinges ) it will change the cruve of the windscreen.

Jim

Posted

TJay,

Did you get a header tanks with those wing tanks? Kitfox says, "Never leave home without it".

EDMO

Posted

Ha not yet ed, I thought $1125 was enough to spend on fuel tanks for 1 month, Ill save the header tank another month or.

Posted

Ha not yet ed, I thought $1125 was enough to spend on fuel tanks for 1 month, Ill save the header tank another month or.

WOW! INFLATION IS RAMPANT!

I like the newer, flat one better than the old round header. You can also get a low-fuel warning to go in it.

EDMO

Posted

Hi Jim thanks for the response. I may have a model c with all mk4 upgrades but the rudder. Do you know if the model c and mk4 use the same dashboard? Just trying to figure out why mine is so far off? I'll try and post some pics of the problem tomorrow.

Thanks

Bill

Do you know the serial number?  Mine is #841, and was sold as a 'C', the build manual says 'D', and it has all the Mk IV upgrades. It originally had the square rudder, but after a ground loop, the original builders replaced the busted square rudder with the round one.

Mark

Posted

I put a cowl for a MK IV on my c and it went right into place on the camlocks but I did add one more strip of 1/2" weather strip to the windshiled to seal it off at the top cowl.  Mine is serial # 571 I think.

Is your panel and glare shield one piece?  you should be able to move the glare shield seperate from the panel to get it to line up with the colwing and windshield.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I have seen one or two where the glaresheild did not extend to the WS - didn't see how it was all connected. Since my WS sits farther forward at the bottom than most, I plan to extend or split my glaresheild and splice it. This could be done with aluminum, fiberglass, or thin plywood, then paint or cover with leather, etc.

Some WS are bolted at the bottom, and some just lay against the glaresheild and sandwiched between it and the cowl - some put rubber or foam tape at the bottom for a better seal - Donno what Avid does, except for the Magnum since I have that manual.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My Classic 4 manual is vague about this.  Here's how I did it.

First Install the Cowl to fit around the engine, prop flange centered and proper clearance between prop and front of cowl, horizontal seam between top and bottom cowl level and proper height, etc. etc.

Second,  Trim the top sides and back of the windshield to fit. Leave the front, the left, and the right of the lexan sheet oversize.  With the cowl off, rivet or use screws and nuts to attach the top of the windshield to the butt ribs.  Pull the front of the windshield down and bend the left and right sides back and clamp them to left and right door frames.  Put the cowl back on.  With a helper, loosen the clamps, push the bottom front of the windshield forward to fit tight up against the curve of the top cowl.  Tighten the clamps to hold it in this position.  Drill through the left and right sides of the windshield and door frames and secure with screws and nuts.

Third, Trim the glare shield to fit around the fuselage windshield tubing and for any peitot/static line or other access.  Position the glare shield to fit inside the curve in the bottom of the windshield with room for screws to stick through the bottom under the lip of the cowl.  Remove the cowl and drill through the bottom front of the windshield and glare shield for screws and nuts.

post-130-0-81078400-1424179408_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-33609200-1424179433_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-16682400-1424179448_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this