Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

wingtip strobes??

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Been a long time since I looked at them, but I have a set of wingtip position lights which someone converted to strobes probably using a conversion kit.

The bulb is not a flash tube, but is a small bulb, and if I remember right, has a flat looking filament.

I never had the power supply for these, and now am wondering what brand and what type of power supply could be used for them.

If anyone has knowledge of what they might be, or the power pak for them, I would like to know.

I might be able to dig them out and post a photo.

What markings might be on the bulbs, if any?

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I got a set of led bulbs from ac spruce for my old grimes navigation lights. Pretty bright. They are 35 bucks each but if you turn them on, turn off then back on within 3 seconds they strobe. No power supply needed other than your battery and are a direct replacement bulb.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni,

But - the strobe bulbs are a lot smaller than the position light bulbs - don't think there is any way they can interchange - I am thinking that these may be Grimes strobes?

EdMO

Posted

I'm not following you. I just have normal grimes position lights, but this is a direct replacement bulb.. I guess I'm lost.

Posted (edited)

The conversion kit had you cut a round hole in the housing behind the position lights, and a round, clear, magnifier lense dome covered the socket and bulb for the strobe light was put into the hole - Your Grimes position lights stayed the same.

They still sell a kit in Spruce - but not sure if same.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

ok, I got ya now.

Posted (edited)

I checked Spruce and their set has flash tubes - This set must be old - well, I got it used about 20 years ago. Waiting for some other "oldtimer" to remember the strobe bulbs with filaments in it! :lol:

The power paks for them may all be in the junkyard?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

can you post a picture of your lights, or the fixtures?

Posted (edited)

I will post a photo when I can get to them - they are in a box in my shed - right now we have 3 inches of icy snow and more is predicted tonight, with next three days of freezing rain, sleet, snow - temps around 8F and wind chill below zero.

This aint Alaska! :lol: I left my Sorrels and my grippers up there.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I got a set of led bulbs from ac spruce for my old grimes navigation lights. Pretty bright. They are 35 bucks each but if you turn them on, turn off then back on within 3 seconds they strobe. No power supply needed other than your battery and are a direct replacement bulb.

Leni do you have a part# for these bulbs? sounds like my easiest option as I'm already set up with grimes lights

Posted (edited)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11374.php

5 minute swap and you have straight nav lights or 3 burst strobes.  Im happy with them so far especially for the price.

Leni, I have done some research on using LED back-up bulbs - they don't flash, but are a whole lot cheaper, and cut down on the current required for the limited 2-cycle electric - I believe that if you put some bright aluminum, stainless, or foil to the rear of them in the housing, you will increase the light output - like the mirrored inside of the old Grimes bulbs.

Not necessary, but might improve light output.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Dang,  I wish I had known about those.  I just bought the other LED position lights a few months ago and almost exactly the same price but don't have the strobe feature.

Posted

Thanks Leni, looks like these will be in my next ACS order!

Posted (edited)

post-399-0-44847500-1425081308_thumb.jpg

Leni,

Here is a photo of my position lights with the strobe modification. Looks like the bulb reads 112V, 60W, and really cant make out the last row, but looks like _E-C? It has a filament, not flash tube. Do Halogen bulbs have filaments?

Anyone know what it might be and what power pack goes with it? I think this might be for the old 500 series Whelen.

EDMO

I have a back-up plan for some LED strobes for this too.

Edited by Ed In Missouri