Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rib Stitching Vertical (leading edge down trailing edge up)

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Have any of you done rib stitching with the wing vertical, vice flat.  By vertical I mean having the leading edge down and trailing edge up.  Wife nor I can take much bending over so am looking at this as an option.

Also, I would to make a wing rotisery and was thinking maybe PVC pipe inserted into the spars and some PVC T's to make a spin axle in each end (effectively a very stubby PVC pipe fork).  Anyone have working feedback on building one? 

Posted (edited)

Vertical is great way to stitch if you have 2 people - We did the J3 wings that way. We started with leading edge up, went halfway down, and flipped the wing to finish the other half, so we didn't have to bend so much.

There are some plans for a wood rotary fixture with Heavy wall PVC pipe, but right now I don't know where to find it. If you put it on rollers and put sandbags or heavy weights on the bottom, it is even more convenient for flipping the wing and painting, but not necessary. We had a steel rotary fixture.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Most people make a simple "Y" out of PVC pipe that fits into the spars and rests on saw horses to do exactly as you suggest.

Posted (edited)

I just looked through my pictures of covering jobs, trying to find a good pic of my wing stands. I didn't build the bottom parts, but modified the parts that go into the wing. These stands are adjustable for up and down, If I remember right, there is a long slot cut into the upper 2x4, and a bolt goes through it and the 2 lower 2x4s that sandwich it. Haven't used them in about 4 or 5 years, so the memory is a bit foggy. Anyway, this should give you some ideas. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-69273600-1424879433_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-48141500-1424879699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk
1 person likes this

Posted

Make sure you make a good template if you have the STOL wing. If you just go straight down your row will get all out of whack. I remember spending a little while trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Posted

Whatever rotary fixture you use, you should make sure that it is firmly attached to the wing, or that the fixtures are bound to each other - one slip and you have a bigger problem - accidents happen.

EDMO

Posted

Great stuff.  Many thanks.

Posted

LSaupe--

I built an excellent wing rotissary back while building my Avid.  I wrote it up, but i would have to find my writeup to send it  to you.  We are now vacationing in the FL keys, so I will have to get home to find it.  You can have the complete rig if you could pick it up in Bethesda, MD.  Let me know if you are interested.

Pops

Posted

I just hung mine from the ceiling by the rib tails. I put a couple eye bolts in garage ceiling and strung it up. Like joey said, make patterns or take good measurements so you can lay out your lines to keep the stitches even. I did t do that and ended up with a couple odd ball stitches on the bottom.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

You should make two different templates to lay out the stitches, actually 2 for the top, and 2 for the undercamber - the stitches in the propblast area are supposed to be closer together, if you follow AC43-13.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri