Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my standoffs welded on stringers glued in.

post-999-0-21503100-1424993374_thumb.jpg

Posted

Started building my Turtle deck yes I like to be different. and I love the way it looks.

post-999-0-34144600-1424993608_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-97575800-1424993666_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-64290000-1424993692_thumb.jpg

Posted

That long dark streak on the side - If that is the slot for the flaperon tube, how is it going to put down pressure on the tube to prevent flutter? It should be slotted from the bottom of turtledeck.

EDMO

Posted

I think you are seeing a shadow Ed. Wow TJay, you sure are going to town on that plane. I'm glad you got it! It will fly! Keep it up, and if you get any extra time, you can come and give me a hand. LOL Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks Jim and ed the slots are not cut yet. I'm waiting for the glue to dry behind the rear skylight angle , that's all  the clamps you see Hanging there. Once there off I will get good Measurements for the slots. then build the bearing. The turtle deck is just sitting there because it makes me excited.

Posted

Great progress TJay - when you get done, maybe you could fly it down here and help finish mine over some weekend!

EDMO

Posted

yeah, Ill go pick Jim up and well fly down there ha.

Posted (edited)

TJay,

You are showing the difference between kit-building and scratch-building. Most of mine has to be designed, made, scrapped, redesigned and built again - that is the pain of custom or scratch building - it takes a lot more time!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

its finished and only took 20 hrs to do. Have to do the bearing yet but that's for another day.

post-999-0-05684900-1425138258_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-71037000-1425138298_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice work.  Any more updates?

Posted

Nice work.  Any more updates?

Check out his photo in General hanger in posts "Empty Weights"

EDMO

Posted

finally got the tanks sloshed clean and glued in,

post-999-0-94938000-1425745147_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-08862300-1425745187_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-75417800-1425745219_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thought I would post this because sometimes this can be a real pain in the butt to get when you dont have all the paper trail. The Kitfox 1 registration showed up today in the mail, Its a good day here. My N number will be N7507D.

post-999-0-97565000-1426203818_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats took me 8 months to get that stinkin paper and I even had the original bill of sale from Light Aero dated 1987 and all other associated paperwork. 

Posted (edited)

I think mine took 3 weeks with all the :bugeyes: s dotted and Ts crossed

Edited by KFfan

Posted

Ok got My inserts ready to slip in. Used a router table to get them cut with in .005 then hand sanded and filed the rest and polished and rounded off any sharp edges. cut the fish mouth in both ends. They are now sitting outside in a snowdrift over night tomorrow morning I will oil them up with Baby Oil  and try to slip them in. Feels good to be moving forward again. Haven't touched the plane all summer.

Inserts finished 001.JPG

Inserts finished 003.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Are you going to put that Jabiru engine in your plane? What is the serial # on that engine?  2200s between around 450 to 1850 or so are better than later hydrolic lifter ones.  They are now back to solid lifters, from around serial # 3000 or thereabouts.  Mine is #903,  good you're getting something done.  I've been in the garage last few days also.   Jim Chuk

Posted

Glad TJay and Jim are making some progress - I am OOS until I get some help hanging up the Kitfox 3 fuselage I just stripped, and moving my Foxy fuselage from storage to the shop.  Hoping to get flaps and ailerons and controls done this winter.  Struts are ready to fit and weld too, but that wont happen until warm weather.

You can keep the snow up North - We don't need it...

EDMO

Posted

Hey Jim the jab is for my sonex someday when I get back to it. I think The ss number is A-33  2551 If I could find a good deal on a 2200 I would have it in the kitfox for sure.

Posted

TJay, I didn't notice the third spark plug when I looked at it till just now.  Thought it was a 4 cylinder.  The sonex will really move with that engine in it.  If you can keep your Kitfox 1 at or under 450 lbs, I think the HKS would be a good engine for it also.  Mike Ricketts seems to have had good luck with his so far.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I'm shooting for 550 lbs I like those numbers. Ill just stick with my 582 for now. Here is some progress today I got 2 of the I beams installed Ill do the other two tomorrow. Cant believe how much that stiffens up the wing With it all riveted in place I can actually sit on the leading edge and it hardly bows down that's what I like. Then I  got the center rib glued in place, And then the good old mail man brought me my early Christmas present and once again I had to almost push him out the door 15 minutes later.

Matco 003.JPG

Matco 002.JPG

Posted

Looking good TJay - WOW, you could make a nose wheel out of that Fat Matco !

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Got snowed out at work today so I got install some false ribs and make some triangle blocks for all my drag tubes.

false ribs 001.JPG

Posted

Got the #2 rib cut and glued on the bottom of the tanks today. Its all coming together,

Rib 2 002.JPG

Rib 2 003.JPG

Rib 2 004.JPG

Rib 2 005.JPG

Posted

TJay,  What kind of blue glue is that on the spars?  Don't look like 9460...

EDMO