Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

9460 on the  spars and 739 for the tanks

Posted

TJay,

Something to consider, Suberavid and I both had the arms on the Matco tail wheel welded to the the casting that they're bolted to.  After a few hours of use we noticed that there was some movement where they butt up to the casting.  It would not be good if they rotated up when you landed.  Mine started showing movement in under 20 hrs.  Since having them welded Randy hasn't seen any movement on his and he's had many off-airport landings with his bird.  They are great tail wheels with just this simple mod. 

Jackak

Posted

Good to know thanks. OK so today I glued in the center rib on top of the tank, then installed some blocking around my drag tubes, Not sure if others do this but seems like a tube that can bounce around will start to break.

center_rib_001.thumb.JPG.f89d59e42ad1c1ecenter_rib_005.thumb.JPG.93b3409d4b7d4b8

Posted

TJay

Just picking your brain here, not passing judgement.

Why do you say "a tube that will bounce around"?

Posted

I also added drag tube reinforcement/support at both end terminations and rib webs. Quick, cheap and easy peace of mind so why the heck not, right?

Posted

TJay

Just picking your brain here, not passing judgement.

Why do you say "a tube that will bounce around"?

I think a 36 inch long aluminum tube will vibrate and bounce a bit if on rough terrain, if not supported in the center. They would probably be fine but like Doug says why the heck not, Easy to do before fabric.

Good to know Jack ill keep an eye on them. OK  Today I got the center rib glued on top of the tank center_rib_005.thumb.JPG.93b3409d4b7d4b8and installed some blocks around my drag tubes, not sure if others do this but seems like them bouncing around would just break the glue joints and crack the tubes.

Posted

That was my thought but just wanted make sure. Thanks

Posted

I added this at each end of the drag tubes on my aerobatic speedwing

stuff 001 [800x600] (2).JPG

Posted

Tonight I got the fabric plates in, finished the trailing edge, and put some blocking between the root rib and fuel tank. And my sweet ass wing tips showed up today.

Fabric Plates 001.JPG

Fabric Plates 002.JPG

Fabric Plates 004.JPG

Fabric Plates 003.JPG

Posted (edited)

TJay,  at one time there was a bulletin to put another strip of fiberglass cloth inside of these tips where the halves are joined - some builders put a layer of 9460 there instead - donno if they have reinforced this on the new ones.

My design book says you get the least drag with these tips if you cut them to where the tip is at a 6 or 7 degree angle, with the front edge being shorter than the trailing edge.

Do you have the position light attachment fittings for them, aka Avid?  I have an extra pair that I bought from Kitfox.

EDMO

TIP LIGHT EXT.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

yeah they came with the tips. So your saying the front edge will be roughly 2/1/4 inch shorter than the trailing edge, I think that is roughly 6 degrees at 36 inches. Not sure I can do that.

Posted (edited)

yeah they came with the tips. So your saying the front edge will be roughly 2/1/4 inch shorter than the trailing edge, I think that is roughly 6 degrees at 36 inches. Not sure I can do that.

Actully, they tested the Hoerner tips angled out as much as 20 degrees, but the lessening of drag didn't improve much after 7 degrees. 

I think that .017 x 6 x 36 would be 3.67 inches off of leading edge.  Probably wont make enough difference in the speeds we fly to matter anyway.  I am sure that with the faster planes it would make a difference, but we aren't jet-powered.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

got the plastic leading edge glued on and the trailing edge tubes glued in today,

leading edge 001.JPG

leading edge 002.JPG

leading edge 004.JPG

Posted

TJay,  What kind of tubes are you putting into the trailing edges?  I think some have used carbon fiber arrow shafts, but I thought they went way back to the bottom of the V in the trailing edge.  Are there any instructions for this?

EDMO

Posted

TJay,  What kind of tubes are you putting into the trailing edges?  I think some have used carbon fiber arrow shafts, but I thought they went way back to the bottom of the V in the trailing edge.  Are there any instructions for this?

EDMO

3/8" .035 tubing  before I started this morning I did a google search on it and looked like all the others glued it where I did,

Posted

Looks like you are making great progress TJay. Thanks for posting all the pictures. Nice to see what other people are working on.

Posted

EDMO

3/8" .035 tubing  before I started this morning I did a google search on it and looked like all the others glued it where I did,

Thanks TJay,  I had never seen any pictures - Just read about this.  BTW:  Stewart says you get a better fabric fit if you don't glue the side of the trailing edge you are applying fabric to - just glue it on the opposite side where it wraps around.  EDMO

Posted

Here you go ED this is where I got it from. It talks about it on the bottom of page 9,

Fabric-Covering.pdf

Posted

Here you go ED this is where I got it from. It talks about it on the bottom of page 9,

Fabric-Covering.pdf

Thanks TJay,  Looks like I would have put my arrows in the wrong place - Guess I should take the hunting tips and feathers off first.?  Ha! 

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Got a rainy day here, so I got some work done on my wings, Bout ready for a final Varnish. Man you retired guys got it made, I would have this thing done in 3 months with all those days off ha.

tank cover 002.JPG

tank cover 004.JPG

Posted (edited)

I have never seen a cover like that over the tanks...how are you going to tape the edges?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Very Carefully ha

Posted

Hey, I see a Blue head 582 on the airframe and a Jab 2200 on the bench!

What's it gonna be??? :-)

Posted

Sorry, my bad. I see that the jab is for a Sonix project.

Posted

Wow you will have two nice planes! A super performing go fast Sonix and a nice KF bush plane. Everyone should be so lucky!