Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

Ha that is a 3300 on the bench but If everything works out here in the 2 next weeks there will be a 2200 on the bench also, And that will be for the kitfox. Not sure what I will do with the blue head probably end up selling it.

Posted

The ribs on your tail feathers look interesting. Are those your own design? I didn't think KF had that option on the earlier models.

Posted

It is my work Just 1/4 inch 5 or 7 ply don't remember, Hope it works if nothing else it will look fast ha

Posted

Ok guys quick up date here tonight I got the final coat of varnish on all the internal wings. And finished painting all the aluminum parts in the wing. The only thing left is to figure out which wing I want to install the pitot tube in and hopping to fabric a wing this weekend.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  You might want to consider putting the pitot tube thru the rib just inboard of the strut fitting - it is less likely to get broken there.  I cut mine about an inch below the rib to make putting fabric on easier - after fabric, you can connect the rest of the tube with a short rubber hose and two clamps.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I was gonna just drill the hole through the bottom cap strip then fabric the bottom on the wing then install the pitot tube.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  You might want to consider putting the pitot tube thru the rib just inboard of the strut fitting - it is less likely to get broken there.

That's where I put mine. 

pitot.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was gonna just drill the hole through the bottom cap strip then fabric the bottom on the wing then install the pitot tube.

That would work - but what are you going to do if the tube gets broken off flush with the fabric (bottom of rib), and that's where it usually breaks.  Of course, moving it to where Larry put his would probably keep it from breaking - most of the time.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

This is for the new pilots on here - One of my commercial instructors watched me watching the ASI too much, I guess - Anyway, I flew a lot of time and landings with the ASI covered up.  If your pitot gets broken - say you hit a duck, or it was cracked and stopped working in the air - You may have to get your bird down without an ASI to go by - It's good practice to cover it or avoid looking at it, except to verify that you are safe, and practice some landings without using it as a reference.  Just my 2c...

Akflyer or Suberavid might have a pitot ice over, but they are experienced, and I know they can fly their birds without one.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I used a piece of flaired steel brake line for the pitot tube.  A brass fitting was installed on the rib in the same location as Larry's on the wing.  The fitting is inside the wing and then the flaired 1/8" line is cut to length, bent and threaded on.  Also put an inspection port in that area of the wing.  The line I used was painted??? black. 

Edited by wypaul

Posted

TJay, what is the dark color on your spars? I'm getting ready to rebuild my wings, and I'm looking at options for corrosion protection for the steel and aluminum parts.

Thanks,

Luke D.

Posted

That is a epoxy primer made by PPG it is DP90LV I just used it because I had it. There is much cheaper options out there.

Posted

Got started on one wing this afternoon, I will say that was fun, Other than one side of that little fisher I use to have I have Never covered much before so this is a learning experience for me.

Wing covering 1 001.JPG

Wing covering 1 002.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Follow the manual and you will do fine.  When it's all done, you will say: "that was a lot easier than I thought it would be"  Have fun, looks good so far!  Jim Chuk

Posted

Well I'm no expert yet but I will say the bottom of the second wing went way easier. Shrunk the bottom of the first wing to 250 today just to see how it looks, turned out great, so tomorrow I'll shrink the bottom of the second wing that I covered today. Then hopefully get the top cover on at least one, starting to look like something and I like it.

Wing covering 2 002.JPG

Posted

Looks good - Sure hope you remember to put that pitot tube in before covering top.

EDMO

Posted

Looks good - Sure hope you remember to put that pitot tube in before covering top.

EDMO

ha sure did the epoxy is drying now.

Posted

Got the top of one covered.

top of wing 1 003.JPG

top of wing 1 002.JPG

top of wing 1 007.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

How are you getting your airspeed line to the fuselage?  Looks like it's going the wrong way.  Probably be a good idea to put a couple of inspection rings in, one on each side of the rib so you can get to the fitting on the pitot tube.  No need to cut them out unless you really need to get at it.  Moving along though, good to see!  Jim Chuk

Posted

How are you getting your airspeed line to the fuselage?  Looks like it's going the wrong way.  Probably be a good idea to put a couple of inspection rings in, one on each side of the rib so you can get to the fitting on the pitot tube.  No need to cut them out unless you really need to get at it.  Moving along though, good to see!  Jim Chuk

I am going to guess he will be running it all the way back down the spar.  Thats a pretty long run up and back, hope water never gets in it and freezes!

:BC:

Posted

I think usually one drills a hole in the rear spar just outboard of the fuel tank and runs it though there.   On my Kitfox 4  project, I ran 2  aluminum tubes behind the fuel tank, one for pitot, and one for static port.  Jim Chuk

IMG_0793 (Large).JPG

IMG_0794 (Large).JPG

IMG_0795 (Large).JPG

Posted

Yes I am running through the rear spar, and yes it is a long run It is possible that I will need to make a small venturi on the front of the pitot tube to get my pressure right. Here is my latest both wings covered and ready for some poly brush,

both wings 007.JPG

Posted

Just curious, do you guys mean that you drill the rib right behind the spar? That's what the pictures show. Also 1Avidflyer, is your spar tube bent up? That one close up picture sure makes it look like it has some issues. Maybe it's the camera angle or something but it made me take a second look. 

I was under the impression that you never want a hole in your spar unless you are putting in a rivet or something. I can tell you from personal experience that the hole is always the weakest link in tubing when you'd rather it not be. 

Posted (edited)

Just curious, do you guys mean that you drill the rib right behind the spar? That's what the pictures show. Also 1Avidflyer, is your spar tube bent up? That one close up picture sure makes it look like it has some issues. Maybe it's the camera angle or something but it made me take a second look. 

I was under the impression that you never want a hole in your spar unless you are putting in a rivet or something. I can tell you from personal experience that the hole is always the weakest link in tubing when you'd rather it not be. 

Per the original standard instructions, you drill an oversize hole (I think in the area of the spar insert) into the front of the rear spar, and put some sillycone sealer around the tube where it goes into the hole, and run the tube inside of the spar up to the cockpit.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The rear of the spar is cut out so that there is clearance when the wing is folded.  That is what you are seeing.  If you looked at the spar from the end, it would look round.   I've been told that the front spar carries more of the weight in a wing, not positive that's true, but it's what I've heard.  Maybe that's why the rear spar is the one to drill.  I've always had a hard time drilling holes in tubes, that's why I ran my line on the outside.  Jim Chuk