Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

Started on my IP this past weekend, Still waiting on my slip indicator, that is what the empty hole is for, Nothing is wired up yet, Gps is running on batteries just for fun,

100_1061.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

iFly battery pack or wired direct?

Posted

Battery pack is powering it now but it will get wired direct,

Posted

Wondering if it makes more sense to buy the 2 device subscription and add the App to an iPhone or iPad for backup instead of a battery pack. I like the idea of some redundancy in case the iFly itself crapped out.

Posted

just carry a paper map with ya ha,

Posted (edited)

just carry a paper map with ya ha,

Charts are getting too expensive - you can get free state roadmaps (IFR) at rest stops!  Fly low and read signs = Mofun! 

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, that looks fantastic!

I hear ya on the paper maps, always have some with me. My wife and I are extremes on this.  I am a paper and compass guy and she is very much ingrained in using GPS as primary.

I have noticed, however, it tougher and tougher to find paper automotive maps at gas stations etc.  Hopefully the air maps will be around for a good long time.

Posted

If you hit the rest stop at about 07:00 for a map there is more room to land :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you hit the rest stop at about 07:00 for a map there is more room to land :lmao:

Yes, let the truckers get out first!   Nice thing about Interstate highways is that there are usually no  low electric wires crossing.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

tail wheel is on for good, May tighten up the chains a bit yet, cowl and dash is where I want it also.

tail wheel finished 001.JPG

tail wheel finished 003.JPG

TJ, you airplane is beautiful, hey what are the dimensions of your instrument panel? does it have a lip on the bottom to connect to tabs? 

Posted

Thanks For the complement, the center is 9 inches tall ends are 3 inches tall and 31.5 long yes bent around on all sides for smooth clean look. If I had to do it again I would make the center 10" and the ends 4" for more room.

TJ, you airplane is beautiful, hey what are the dimensions of your instrument panel? does it have a lip on the bottom to connect to tabs? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Still waiting to hear about the first flight.  Anytime soon?  JImChuk

Posted

Still waiting to hear about the first flight.  Anytime soon?  JImChuk

Ha gonna be a while, Getting started on a spec house for the winter. Something I have always wanted to do and just always have someone else waiting for me to get there and build them something. This year I said enough I'm building a spec house, So the last couple months I have Been drawing plans buying property paperwork paperwork paperwork and trying to satisfy all customers before I put them on hold for the next 6 months. Should be fun,

Posted

TJay

Georgeous plane.  Perhaps this was asked earlier but it appears you have very little dihedral.  Only curious, is this by design or your implementation in the build?

Phil

Posted

TJay

Georgeous plane.  Perhaps this was asked earlier but it appears you have very little dihedral.  Only curious, is this by design or your implementation in the build?

Phil

Dihedral is  set to 1 degree. Its just where I think they look the best.

2 people like this

Posted

TJay

Phil

Dihedral is  set to 1 degree. Its just where I think they look the best.

That's What the manual says.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Do inspection rings mess with the airflow of the wing. Can you put then on top of the wing  when you use a soldering iron for drains is there any additional required or do you just burn a little hole and call it good  

Posted

Do inspection rings mess with the airflow of the wing. Can you put then on top of the wing  when you use a soldering iron for drains is there any additional required or do you just burn a little hole and call it good  

Don't know about the airflow thing but when I burnt drain holes I doubled the fabric in those areas with a  piece of fabric about the size of a quarter.

1 person likes this