Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Electric elevator trim

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys I'm working on my electric elevator trim. This is a model C and came with no provisions for a trim tab. Since my elevator is already covered I'm adding a trim tab to the rear of the elevator that will be actuated by a servo. My question is since the servo is mounted in the elevator how do I route the servo wires from the elevator into the fuse? Is it alright to drill a hole through the leading edge spar of the elevator? Anybody got a pic of how you routed your wire out of the elevator?

Thanks

Bill

Posted

I goofed and forgot to plan ahead on my wiring so i just routed it out the side just above where the strut attaches to the fuse and routed it up the rear strut and back to the servo. has worked for about 45 hrs so far with no issues. eventually I will fair them like Joey has done and this will protect the wiring. Structurally its probably fine to drill into the elevator my concern would be that it would allow moisture into the tubing which would cause rust problems over time I would stay away from it. I would recommend opening it all up like Joey has done and extending it while your at it. The fabric work is really easy and if you can't weld it yourself I bet it would not cost much to have a shop weld it up if you prefabed all the tubing. heck if you were near me I would be more than happy to help. 

Posted

If you drill the elevator tube, seal the wiring holes with silicone.

You guys have got me to considering the electric trim, although I like manual trim better - running wires is probably easier than running cable - I have to buy the cable, and adding a switch to my electric servo may cost about the same :huh:?

EdMO