Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid speedwing.... Impressions from those that have flown one?

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Dan that is the information I needed! Thanks for the reply. Curious what you've done to your plane for speed improvements to you plane?

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

I really haven't done much yet in speed mods. The short wing without the concave airfoil is the biggest help. Since I bought the plane I have removed the side mounted radiator and switched to a Kitfox style belly mount. So far I have found that adjusting the prop has made the biggest change in performance and a degree or two can make a huge difference. I am planning to change over to a MKIV cowling with custom radiators more for aesthetics but I am also hoping it will help with a problem I have with melting a muffler mount. I will also be changing to hydraulic brakes and narrower tires in the process. That might get me a mph or 2 extra.

Dan

Posted (edited)

I had the prop question too and Jim or Bandit or someone answered that with the smaller diameter prop you can set your static pitch at a higher degree, and you will have faster cruise.

The 72" Warp Drive on the Subaru EA-81 has to be set at a shallow pitch to get static rpm, and your cruise is less -

Warp Drive said to go with 68" with more pitch and takeoff should not suffer.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Hi Dan.

3 years ago this post was active, hoping I could bring it up again. Do you still happily fly your speedwings?  I am working on a pair of Aerobat wings to put on my early C model that came with STOL wings. I would love to be able to switch between travel and bush flying. I do wonder what max static RPM you have on your 582? I get 6200rpm and it feels cold and thirsty. The idle air screw is all the way out, jet needle clip is on top position and the egt is still 900F at 5800rpm. 

Also, do you know what CG range you use? As I understand, all Avid Flyers are considered nose heavy and need ballast in the tail.

Qoute" After discussion with the designer of the aircraft, the center of gravity was moved to the published aft limit of 16.5� with the assurance that the aircraft was tested well beyond the published limit. For reasons of liability at that time, the published limit was set very conservatively. The aircraft was tested beyond 19.0�, which can be safely used. (37% mac). End qoute.

Ref: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=106861

Here is me flying my Avid flyer with STOL wings

Edited by anders.stenhammar84@gmail.

Posted

In regard to your EGTs, 900 is pretty low.  Idle mixture should have little or no effect on the EGT at a high rpm cruise setting.   Mid range EGTs are mostly controlled by the needle jet and the jet needle.   Full throttle is controlled by the main jet.  I would check to see that you have stock factory parts for the needle jet and jet needle.  Also make sure you float setting is correct and that your floats aren't to heavy.  As I remember it, if you remove the float bowl without spilling any fuel out of them, the fuel should be 1/2" down from the top of the float bowl.  If it's higher, you will run rich.  Are the EGTs lower on one cylinder than the other?  A leaking primer could make it richer as well.  Just looked up the carb parts for the 582, and at sea level one would run 165 main jets, 55 idle jet (pretty rich though with that size) 2.72 needle jet, 11G2 jet needle with the clip in the 3rd notch from the top.  That should give you a few things to look at.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks a lot for your reply! 

I used to have a T-birdII with 582. I used stock jetting and it was perfect in all ways. So it feel like something is wrong with this engine. It could also be the egt gauge that is reading wrong. I will check the spark plugs for light chocolate brown color.  

Anyway, I double checked the jetting and they are all exactly as you suggested (stock jetting). Exept for the idle air screw and mid range needle clip position. The idle air screw is all the way out and the clip is on the top position. The float level was a little high so I bent the float arm lever a little so that the level vent down a little.  I had 6400rpm at take off today so I am happy with the propeller loading. I have the original two bladed wood prop from Avid 1992. 

I have tried a lot to synchronize the carbs at 2009 rpm and adjust the idle screw, but the engine shake a lot. The B- gearbox could of course be worn out but it feels ok at 2300rpm.  I have ordered idle jets 50. 

THanks for the tip about leaking primer. I will remove the primer tubes and block the nipple next time to see what happens.  

I will also clean and lightly oil the air filter again.

Posted

I never oil my filters. If you get to much oil on them it will run rich.

2 people like this

Posted

I cleaned my air filter and barely oil sprayed it before mounting it back. Also, the air temperature has gone down quite much since last time. The EGT went up to 1100F and I am happy :-)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Now, back to the  question about the CG on a Speedwing. Anyone? 

Posted

Keep it around 16 or so and it flys better.  I am not too crazy about going past 19 but have done it.  With both an extended speed wing and the HH wing.  Fly it and move the CG back a bit at a time with divers weights on the tail spring and see what you think of it.  Something I might be comfortable with you might not like at all.

:BC:

Posted

I'm going to clean mine again tomorrow. After I cleaned them I oiled it like I do my car and now it's running a little warm.

Posted

I'm going to clean mine again tomorrow. After I cleaned them I oiled it like I do my car and now it's running a little warm.

chopndrag.  The egt should get cold if you oil it to much because that will make the fuel mixture more rich. Or do you mean the cht ? 

Remember that when the outside air temperature gets low, the egt gets high because of the high density of the air. Normally we move the clip on the needle one notch down to compensate this. 

I have been studying the pilot/idle jet setting on Rotax two strokes.  The reason why they are running rich on idle is because the carb don't have any acceleration pump system. The rich setting on idle is there to compensate for the big and sudden airflow (lean mixture rate) that will happen when you move the throttle quickly up from idle to 100%. For example during a sudden go around during cold weather. 

But, many say that Rotax is scared and the standard 50 idle jet is way to big. Many have reported that 45 is just as safe as 50. I will change to 45 and do some quick throttle acceleration test on ground in different temperatures. 

Posted

Just now saw this post reopened. I was flying regular until a year and a half ago when I started a repair. As I was just about finished with the repair we got hit with Hurricane Harvey and with the plane up on blocks inside the hangar the main gear was still completely submerged in the flooding. With that I decided to get my postponed brake conversion project done. It took me a year because I didn't have a lot of spare time for it. I replaced axles, hubs, wheels, brakes, tires, tubes, brake pedal assembly, master cylinders and ran hydraulic lines. I just recently finished it and had 6 take offs and landings before I have grounded it again due to an internal crank seal leak. I am going to try swapping my cylinders onto the case of another 582 I had sitting in the hangar. Hopefully that solves my problem. I will be weighing and checking the CG after I get the engine reinstalled. It always felt a little nose heavy especially in the landing flare.

Dan