Idaho backcountry flying in a Powered Parachute

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I grew up in a small town called Pierce ID about 20 miles from Orofino Idaho S68. It's also just a stones throw from Elk River. I just spent week back home visiting family and I towed my Powered Parachute ultralight up there with me. This past weekend was their annual "1860 Days" which celebrates when Gold was first discovered in Idaho. My Dad and I did some formation over town to the give the locals something to talk about. The second half of the pics were taken on Tuesday when I took off out of Orofino ID and flew around till the air started to stir. What an awesome place to fly. I can't wait to take my Avid up there so I can actually cover some ground.

Short video I took

Stopped in at Kitfox in Homedale on my way up

IMG_4631.jpg

My wingman aka DAD

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

Pierce ID from the air...Population 400 on a good day

IMG_4724.jpg

Great place to grow up

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

PPC's fly themselves once your cruising...cross your feet put your hands behind your head and enjoy the view at 30mph

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

People ask me all the time if I trust my life behind a two stroke motor..yes,....yes I do

IMG_4763.jpg

Looking up the Clearwater after taking off from Orofino

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

Love having no windshield!

IMG_4896.jpg

RWY 09-27 Orofino ID

IMG_4900.jpg

And after a week in Idaho enjoying the scenery I got to stare at this for hundreds of miles across Eastern OR and NV on way back to the Sacramento area.

IMG_4902.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

or in the case of the PPC in front of a 2 stroke :lol:

I knoiw I hear it all the time... I figure when my number is up then it is up.. till then, nothing I am going to do will speed up the process.  If I ball a plane up and walk or limp away from it, well I guess my number was not up, someone just wanted to get into my wallet :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

I just looked at the pics again and noticed who your wing man was.  That is WAY too cool!  My Dad learned to fly in colledge, but decided early on that he like to look at the scenery too much and not pay attention to where he was going.  He quit flying long before I came along.  Once I got my ticket I was ready to take him out hunting and fishing and doing all the shit we had talked about, but he got plumb ate up with cancer and was never able to go flying with me.  Enjoy the time in the air you have and the memories you make with your dad, they are PRICELESS.

:beerchug:

Posted

hope this is not the topix for the weekend might just keep my montana red neck home, no tats just the suns work,  no drugs cant afford it all my money goes to flying,

Posted

Was drinking some beer and thinking about my PPC this evening..kinda miss it... some unique flying for sure. I've done a touch and go on a haystack, costco's roof, a tractor trailer and those are just the ones I admit to!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ILuv2fly?feature=mhee#p/u/110/Ikvzmo8fp2M