Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WW II B-17 STORY

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A friend sent this to me.

Never heard this amazing story:

B-17 "All American" (414th Squadron, 97BG)

Crew:

Pilot- Ken Bragg Jr.
Copilot- G. Boyd Jr.
Navigator- Harry C. Nuessle
Bombardier- Ralph Burbridge
Engineer- Joe C. James
Radio Operator- Paul A. Galloway
Ball Turret Gunner- Elton Conda
Waist Gunner- Michael Zuk
Tail Gunner- Sam T. Sarpolus
Ground Crew Chief- Hank Hyland

In 1943 a mid-air collision on February 1, 1943, between a B-17 and a German fighter over the 
Tunis dock area, became the subject of one of the most famous photographs of WW II. An enemy fighter attacking a 97th Bomb Group formation went out of control, probably with a wounded pilot, then continued its crashing descent into the rear of the fuselage of a Fortress named "All American", piloted by Lt. Kendrick R. Bragg, of the 414th Bomb Squadron. When it struck, the fighter broke apart, but left some pieces in the B-17. The left horizontal stabilizer of the Fortress and left elevator were completely torn away. The two right engines were out and one on the left had a serious oil pump leak. The vertical fin and the rudder had been damaged, the fuselage had been cut almost completely through connected only at two small parts of the frame, and the radios, electrical and oxygen systems were damaged. There was also a hole in the top that was over 16 feet long and 4 feet wide at its widest;
the split in the fuselage went all the way to the top gunner's turret.

Although the tail actually bounced and swayed in the wind and twisted when the plane turned and all the control cables were severed, except one single elevator cable still worked, and the aircraft miraculously still flew!

The tail gunner was trapped because there was no floor connecting the tail to the rest of the plane. The waist and tail gunners used parts of the German fighter and their own parachute harnesses in an attempt to keep the tail from ripping off and the two sides of the fuselage from splitting apart. 

While the crew was trying to keep the bomber from coming apart, the pilot continued on his bomb run and released his bombs over the target.

When the bomb bay doors were opened, the wind turbulence was so great that it blew one of the waist gunners into the broken tail section. It took several minutes and four crew members to pass him ropes from parachutes and haul him back into the forward part of the plane. When they tried to do the same for the tail gunner, the tail began flapping so hard that it began to break off. The weight of the gunner was adding some stability to the tail section, so he went back to his position. The turn back toward England had to be very slow to keep the tail from twisting off. They actually covered almost 70 miles to make the turn home. The bomber was so badly damaged that it was losing altitude and speed and was soon alone in the sky. 

For a brief time, two more Me-109 German fighters attacked the All American. Despite the extensive damage, all of the machine gunners were able to respond to these attacks and soon drove off the fighters. The two waist gunners stood up with their heads sticking out through the hole in the top of the fuselage to aim and fire their machine guns. The tail gunner had to shoot in short bursts because the recoil was actually causing the plane to turn. 

Allied P-51 fighters intercepted the All American as it crossed over the Channel and took one of the pictures shown. They also radioed to the base describing that the appendage was waving like a fish tail and that the plane would not make it and to send out boats to rescue the crew when they bailed out. 

The fighters stayed with the Fortress, taking hand signals from Lt. Bragg and relaying them to the base. Lt. Bragg signalled that 5 parachutes and the spare had been "used" so five of the crew could not bail out. He made the decision that if they could not bail out safely, then he would stay with the plane to land it. 

Two and a half hours after being hit, the aircraft made its final turn to line up with the runway while it was still over 40 miles away. It descended into an emergency landing and a normal roll-out on its landing gear.

When the ambulance pulled alongside, it was waved off because not a single member of the crew had been injured. No one could believe that the aircraft could still fly in such a condition. The Fortress sat placidly until the crew all exited through the door in the fuselage and the tail gunner had climbed down a ladder, at which time the entire rear section of the aircraft collapsed. 

This old bird had done its job and brought the entire crew home uninjured.

My father flew in B-24s in the pacific. Many fond memories of the stories. I am named after his best friend who died in a post takeoff crash. What an honor...

Edited by KFfan
1 person likes this

Posted

B-17-All-American-Flight.jpg

ATT00019.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the visual aids for the story!

I've been thinking about the crew and how they worked together to create the best enviroment they could, using what they had, to make the best possible outcome.

We had one really close call on the submarine I rode. Again, it was a group effort and quick rational thinking of the crew members isolated in the effected compartment that averted disaster. Of course the skipper getting us on the surface quickly and safely helped too  :flag: 

Posted (edited)

Great story - and I sure don't want to take anything away from it - BUT, why don't my old eyes see the same exact number painted on the tail in the two photos? - everything else, including the damage, looks the same.

Could the bottom photo possibly have come from a movie?

EDMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

They sure look the same to me...

Posted

They sure look the same to me...

Could be the same? Looked like subtle differences - could be curvature of VS in first photo?

Amazing Story - Thought maybe a movie had been made about it - Like the one where the belly gunner was trapped and if they landed with the gear up he would have been killed.....

EDMO

Posted

Great story - and I sure don't want to take anything away from it - BUT, why don't my old eyes see the same exact number painted on the tail in the two photos? - everything else, including the damage, looks the same.

Could the bottom photo possibly have come from a movie?

EDMo

Numbers? What numbers? LOL

Posted (edited)

Ok, that is one crazy story. I went searching for more pics and found the 'rest of the story'.

from MilNet:

The enemy fighters attacked at 1350 on a clear almost cloudless day. The All American was in tight formation with the other bombers, flying at 28,000 feet. The enemy aircraft made their passes at the 17’s while antiaircraft fire belched skyward.

The bombers located the target (the wharf area of Bizerta) and the bombardiers dropped the bombs. With the bomb bays empty, the aircraft started home.

Kendrick R. Bragg, Jr. was the pilot of the All American and recalls what happened after leaving Bizerta. “As we left the target and headed home, the fast enemy ME-109’s once more rose to pounce on us. Suddenly I noticed two of them far to the north sneaking along in the same direction that we were going.

They were out of range and harmless for the moment, but I told our gunners to keep an eye on them. “We were flying Number 2 position off the right wind of the lead plane piloted by Captain Coulter. He, too, had seen the two fighter planes and I saw his top turret swing around toward the nose to protect the plane’s most vulnerable quarter.

“I scanned the skies, then looked again at the two enemy craft. They had suddenly turned and were racing toward us. The two small specks increased rapidly in size as they came nearer. Evidently they were planning a frontal attack, determined to shoot it out nose to nose. This was the most difficult kind of attack but was the surest way of sending a Fortress down.

“On they came, one plane about thirty seconds behind the other. They were ready for a one-two punch with their terrific firing power. We were flying in tight formation now with Captain Coulter. He began a slight dive to avoid the oncoming fighter, and I followed. They patterned us, managing to stay about level with us. In a split second they were in shooting range and our forward gunners opened fire. Brilliant tracer bullets flew in both directions, as though a score of boys were fighting it out with Roman candles.

“The first attacker half-rolled into inverted flight to make a quick get-away. As he did I saw Captain Coulter’s bomber burst into smoke and start earthward in an uncontrolled spiral. The second enemy fighter was now our primary concern. As she followed her leader into a roll our gunners found the mark. Fifty-caliber bullets ripped into the pilot’s ****pit. The Nazi pilot was disposed of, but the plane streaked on toward us. I rammed the stick forward in a violent attempt to avoid collision. The rate of closure of the two planes was close to 600 miles-an-jour and my action seemed sluggish. I flinched as the fighter passed inches over my head and then I felt a slight thud like a coughing engine.

“I checked the engines and the controls. The trim tabs were not working. I tried to level the All American but she insisted on climbing. It was only with the pressure from knees and hands that I was able to hold her in anything like a straight line. The copilot tired his controls. He got the same reaction. But we found by throttling back the engines we could keep her on a fairly even keel. I tired to call the pilot of the lead plane which had gone down only a moment before. There was no answer.

“Pilot from top-turret†came an excited voice over the intercom. I was busy with the controls. “Come in top-turret. What’s the matter with youâ€? I asked. “Sir we’ve received some damage in the tail section. I think you should have a look.â€

“We were at 12,000 feet now and no longer needed our oxygen masks. I turned the controls over to the copilot and went toward the rear of the plane. As I opened the door of the radio compartment and looked back into the fuselage I was stunned. A torn mass of shredded metal greeted my eyes. Wires were dangling and sheets of metal were flapping as the air rushed in through the torn wreckage. Three-fourths of the plane had been cut completely through by the enemy fighter and a large piece of the ME-109’s wing was lodged in the tail of our plane.

“The opening made by the German fighter was larger than the exit door. It left our tail section hanging on by a few slender spars an a narrow strip of metallic skin. Lieutenant Bragg climbed into the upper turret to assess the damage from the outside and discovered that the tail section was swinging as much as a foot and a half out of line with the front of the plane. To make matters worse, the left horizontal stabilizer was missing, explaining why the airplane was so difficult to handle.

Bragg decided to try and make it back to Biskra. He returned to the seat, ordered everyone to an emergency exit, then began the long journey home. He recalls their arrival: “As we neared the field we fired three emergency flares, then circled at 2,000 feet while the other planes cleared the runways. We could see the alert crews, ambulances, and crash trucks making ready for us.

“Without radio contact with the field we had to wait for the signal that all was clear and ready for us. When we got the signal I lowered the landing gear and flaps to test the reaction of the All American. They seemed to go reasonably well, considering. We had two alternatives. We could attempt a landing or we could bail out over the field and let the plane fly alone until she crashed – always a dangerous thing to do. I had made up my mind to set her down. She had brought us safely through so far; I knew she would complete the mission. The crew decided to ride her down too.

“A green flare from the field signaled that all was clear for our attempt at landing. I made a long, careful approach to the strip with the partial power until the front wheels touched the leveled earth. As I cut the throttles, I eased the stick forward to hold the tail section high until it eased down of its own weight as we lost speed.

“The tail touched the earth and I could feel the grating as she dragged without tail wheel along the desert sands. She came to a stop and I ordered the copilot to cut the engines. We were home!

The bombardier 1st Lt. Ralph Burbridge, last known living crew member, said once landed they opened a fuselage trap door causing the plane to fall completely in two. Ralph flew throughout the war, including 8th Air Force's first Berlin raid. See his recounting of the mission HERE.

NOTE: A Boeing engineer who inspected it stated that the airplane would not fly in such condition. Later the 124406 was rebuilt and returned to action by the 50th Service Squadron. Three survived from Captain Coulter’s bomber; Alfred D. Blair, bombardier; Ralph Birk, navigator and Sergeant Knight, tail-gunner entered a prison camp until the war was over.

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for additional investigative work...