Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lexan/plexi protective sticky paper removal

71 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Food for thought:  The Kitfox IV molded windshield from LP Aeroplastics fits the C and Mark IV Avid windshield frames just as well, if not better, than it fits the Kitfox IV.

For clarity, longevity, resistance to fuel you can't beat them.

Larry,

I doubt that the Kitfox WS would fit the wider, bigger, Magnum.

Jim,

I know that for this forum, the consensus for the light planes is "keep everything light", but when you are building an 800lb+ EW plane with 1700 GW, the 1/8 Lexan should not matter. I plan to use it and put windows in the doors on Foxy.

The J3, Luscombe 8A/F and the 415C Ercoupe are all 800 EW and 1200 GW, and fly just fine with 1/8 windows.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I doubt that the Kitfox WS would fit the wider, bigger, Magnum.

I don't doubt that at all, Ed.

If it were me, I'd still give them a call.  They make all sorts of windshields and I wouldn't doubt they have a mold for the Magnum.

Posted (edited)

Larry,

If I understand Ron correctly, he has the WS for the Magnum from the factory - don't have to buy or make it. I guess molded WS are better, but more $$$ too. I don't have a choice on mine, since no one makes a WS for Kitfox that is 6 inches taller than stock.

Jim,

I can check my manual, but I think the Magnum calls for windows in the doors.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yes, I do have the windshield and yes it is moulded, not flat. I am not replacing it yet...it does have a crack on the left side that the PO drill stopped. I think the windshield is interchangeable, but don't take that as fact.

The doors are a frame with a framed window on the top half, but they are completely polycarbonate covered. I think I could go with a smaller thickness on everything except the skylight and turttledeck.

Here are some pics

post-545-0-94124200-1426476659_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-06258500-1426476698_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-42854000-1426476749_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-62255400-1426476801_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-36412000-1426476863_thumb.jpg

Posted

Oh Ya, I don't have bubble doors, but as you can see in the second to last pic, there is a straight line bent into the window of the door.

Sorry, I should have posted these pics first.

Ron

Posted

Ron - I wouldn't go so far as to say the Magnum skylight and t-deck window inserts are critical structural components. Sure the .125" might be most appropriate for a rode hard put away wet bush plane, but I don't think using .060" -.090" there would pose a problem if you were looking to save some weight or $$$. More than strong enough for the doors anyways, there are tons of kit planes using it.

Posted (edited)

I love that fiberglass forward fuselage cover, whatever they call it - Boot cowl? - Kitfox don't have it. I wish I could get one for mine. Wondering if I could make similar our of aluminum? Wonder if the fiberglas guy has the molds for it - Avid might fit mine?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

When I was putting in the windshield in my Kitfox 4 project, I was using the Aeroplastic windshield that came with the project. Had it up in place, and when I lifter one corner about a half an inch, I heard this little "plink" sound. Nice little crack on the windshield about where the front spar would attach to the fuselage. So much for that windshield. There was also a 4' X 4' piece of .090 lexan with the kit, and that is what I made the windshield out of. I've heard of others having the Aeroplastic windshields crack also like mine did. I think there may be some stress in some of them to crack so easy while others are no problem at all. I didn't think about stop drilling it, but figured I didn't want to use it at all if it cracked that easy. Jim Chuk

Posted

Doug, I bet you are right...the skylight is the same as other Avid/Kitfoxes. The turtledeck is it's own support structure, so it might have more rigidity with thickness, then again it might be harder to bend the 90 degree sides the thicker it is too?

Ed, the boot cowl is a rigid structure once Fiberglassed, but the downsides are...no removable cowl making it impossible to get to things from below like brake lines, fuel lines, bottom of the control assembly or anything that falls out of your pockets. Also, the recepticals for your engine cowl are impossible to get to without cutting a hole in your fiberglass if one gets loose or falls off. Something to think about...

Jim,

The crack in my windshield looks like it happened when he was drilling it...easy enough to do, especially if you are using a normal drill bit.

I'm going to live with it for now...this project has turned into a real money pit! Big time money pit with the engine and panel left!

Posted (edited)

I was thinking that it would be possible to attach the boot cowl with machine screws.

You would have to cut thru the fabric on the Kitfox unless you cover the bottom with aluminum. I don't like fabric that close to the engine and exhausts.

I didn't realize that the Boot was permanently glued to the fuselage -= guess I need to read my Magnum manual again!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ron... sorry if I missed it, but is the Magnum t-deck a one piece plexi cover or aluminum sheet fabrication with plexi/poly window inserts? If the former, I would definitely want thicker than .060" for a one piece. I think Joey has one on his plane, perhaps he can confirm thickness. Could always add a standoff support from the horizontal tubing above the baggage area, I did this on my Mk-IV to keep the aluminum t-deck from rattling etc.

Also, I really do like the molded lip in the Magnum boot cowl. Makes for a super clean line to the cowls. I think, however, I would try to make it removable with Dzus fasteners for the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps cut off the fiberglass under door sill portion (following the tube running between the lower front door frame corner to the front gear attach point) then fabric and paint that area just like the smaller Avids. Would likely need to add a lower windscreen edge support and a few new tabs, but well worth the work IMHO. Speaking from experience, my Aerotrek has a fixed boot and it has proved to be a royal P.I.T.A. during recent repairs. Maybe you remember those "pay me now or pay me later" commercials? So true.....

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

I love that fiberglass forward fuselage cover, whatever they call it - Boot cowl? - Kitfox don't have it. I wish I could get one for mine. Wondering if I could make similar our of aluminum? Wonder if the fiberglas guy has the molds for it - Avid might fit mine?

EDMO

I have been talking to Ron's Fiberglass, and he says that the MkIV and smaller Avids don't have the fiberglass fuselage boot cover / floor pan like the magnum - is this correct?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

correct

Posted

I ordered the Magnum Boot Cowl from Ron - Guess with a little tweaking, it will fit Foxy - Plan to make it removable.

EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I thought about making it removable, but finally just gave into simplicity...

Posted

Ed,

I thought about making it removable, but finally just gave into simplicity...

If I gave in to simplicity, mine would have been finished a long time ago - Keeping on, keeping on!

ED

1 person likes this

Posted

Doug,

Yes the turtledeck is only plexi.

Yes, making the fiberglass removable is the smart way to go, and if guys like Ed are going to use the Magnum cowls it overlaps on the bottom edges. So you could easily make a removable panel.

You are right, making mods, or repairing the side trusses is almost impossible once all the cowls are Fiberglassed in place.

Posted

Ed,

I went with the dark gray for the skylight and turtledeck. I only had a choice of light gray or dark gray from the dealer closest to me. I could have gone to Denver for the choice of bronze, which would have been an interesting choice. However, I opted to save gas and stick with gray which will match my interior safely. I would have liked to have seen a sample of bronze...

Thanks again for all of the advice guys...

Ron

Posted (edited)

Ron,

I think you will be happier with the dark skylight - I know the sun gets bright and hot in Pueblo -

I have both the light and dark bronze pieces somewhere - If I can find them after catching up on things I am far behind on, I will try to post some photos.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ron - the baked in bronze tints I've seen seem more gray than bronze, but have much more of a reflective mirror effect. I think you'll like the one you bought better, particularly with your paint scheme. Should look great!

1 person likes this

Posted

When I had light bronze windows, sometimes the sun reflecting on them on the outside, it looked like I had gold-plated windows. Good vision from inside tho.

EDMO

1 person likes this