Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SKY - RAIDER / RANGER???

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me in as few words as possible, the differences in these two planes - I see one of each for sale on Barnstormers - I'm not buying either - just need simple education on them.

I think the $11K Raider has a 503, and the $8500 Ranger has no engine but set up for 912.

I think the Raider is a light GW, single-seat, aluminum frame put together with lots of bolts?

The Ranger must be a clone of some model of Avid/Fox and a heavier plane?

Thanx,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, I think you have that backasswards. The Sky Raider is a 4130 chromoly fuse that was made in both single and tandem seating models. The SkyRanger is an aluminum fuse bolt together kit with 2-place side by side seating and sewn envelopes for wings and fuse. I looked at one with a 912ul and got the heebie jeebies, didn't look nearly as strong as a welded fuse.

Posted

I didn't know much about these. I think I saw one or two at Oshkosh. I found this video though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_BhSajuZo

1 person likes this

Posted

There is a Sky Ranger just listed on Barnstormers with a 912. $21,000 Have a look at the pics if you like. Jim Chuk

Posted

MTOW of SkyRanger is only 450kg or ~992lbs. This video will give you a good view of the Sky Ranger structure and assembly.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed,

Check out my SkyRaider on skis in the picture topics.

Posted (edited)

Ed, I think you have that backasswards. The Sky Raider is a 4130 chromoly fuse that was made in both single and tandem seating models. The SkyRanger is an aluminum fuse bolt together kit with 2-place side by side seating and sewn envelopes for wings and fuse. I looked at one with a 912ul and got the heebie jeebies, didn't look nearly as strong as a welded fuse.

Got it now Doug. Ranger is the aluminum one with hundreds of bolts - don't leave home without them!

Thanx for videos Doug and Luke.

Got it Bandit - Thanx - is it smaller than Avid/Fox?

Thanx Jim, but not buying - just nosey - The one for $11K looks like better buy.

Guess I will stick with my Heavy Foxy. ;<)

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri