Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

912 SS exhaust

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know who the supplier for 912 Rotax SS exhaust systems for Kitfox/Avid or someone capable of building one without all the welded up bends?

Posted

A friend just completed an 80 to 100 HP upgrade to his MKIV. He decided he needed a new exhaust too. He had an exhaust manufacturer build his exhaust. I'll find out the name and report back. They sent him a bunch of PVC pipes and he mocked it up with the PVC and returned it to them and they sent back a beautiful exhaust that fit perfectly.

The downside was that it took a very long time. The factory moved yada yada yada. It ended up taking the better part of a year! He was ready except for that so you can imagine the frustration.

We were all thinking he should have just bought the kit with all the little pieces and had it welded up. it would have been done 9 months sooner!

Posted (edited)

A friend just completed an 80 to 100 HP upgrade to his MKIV. He decided he needed a new exhaust too. He had an exhaust manufacturer build his exhaust. I'll find out the name and report back. They sent him a bunch of PVC pipes and he mocked it up with the PVC and returned it to them and they sent back a beautiful exhaust that fit perfectly.

The downside was that it took a very long time. The factory moved yada yada yada. It ended up taking the better part of a year! He was ready except for that so you can imagine the frustration.

We were all thinking he should have just bought the kit with all the little pieces and had it welded up. it would have been done 9 months sooner!

I think that there was a long article in either Sport Aviation or Kitplanes mag on that company a while back.

Do you know what the exhaust cost?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The company is Experimental Exhaust in Minnesota. The do make a BEAUTIFUL product and ended up giving my friend a hell of a deal on it because they moved the plant during his project and it took so long. Perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on them, but it did take nearly a year.

Posted

The company is Experimental Exhaust in Minnesota. The do make a BEAUTIFUL product and ended up giving my friend a hell of a deal on it because they moved the plant during his project and it took so long. Perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on them, but it did take nearly a year.

Maybe faster delivery now that they are moved - but bet they are not too cheap...

EDMO

Posted

$1200 - 1400 depending on complexity. Sorry I'm getting this in texts and putting it up here as I get the answers.

Posted

Thanks Chris, I will contact them . Still have the factory exhaust with one broken tube that I am getting welded so time is isn't a factor so far.

Posted

Thanks Chris, I will contact them . Still have the factory exhaust with one broken tube that I am getting welded so time is isn't a factor so far.

When you take it to your welder,if it's stainless,make sure he can purge the inside with argon while welding. Or he can use a shielding "flux" inside the tube to prevent sugaring. If you don't the outside will look nice but the inside looks like crap and will likely break. My 2 cents

2 people like this

Posted

When you take it to your welder,if it's stainless,make sure he can purge the inside with argon while welding. Or he can use a shielding "flux" inside the tube to prevent sugaring. If you don't the outside will look nice but the inside looks like crap and will likely break. My 2 cents

It's not like the sugar you get from your wife either... but the result is the same, you sugar the bead and your screwed :lol:

:BC: