Paying your sales tax

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Talked to a buddy yesterday who said he received a call from the Feds stating he didn't pay sales tax on his kit. They knew how much he paid from the bill of sale submitted for N number registration and had calculated the tax plus late penalty plus interest for several years. In the grandest of governmental gestures, the agent offered to remove the penalty if he agreed to immediately pay the tax and interest. And he's not the first fellow I've heard this from recently, seem to be a new IRS trend. Apparently, the Treasury has decided to go after the piddling amount of back tax from all the 'rich' folk who fly, in their futile effort to help cover the trillions in Gov't debt run up by Washington. Good luck with that, sheesh.

Posted

The Fn bastages are gonna ruin us all yet.  Wonder if they can go back and gig me for not paying sales tax on the wreck I bought.  If so I will tell them to piss off  :ididntdoit:  Well till they levy a fine against me and garnish my wages :lol:

Posted

Damn!  Now we got a Federalsales tax???????????????  When did this happen???  I've never heard of a FEDERAL Sales tax.  We got STATE sales tax in Oklahoma, but I didn't have any idea a Federal Sales Tax existed? :banghead:

John Hart

KF IV, NSI Subaru

Wilburton, OK

Posted

The bill of sale I had on my Avid the FAA paperwork said that you could put down $1.00 and it would be good, sounds like a scam. be careful

Posted

In Mich., it's called a "Value Tax", and the State will bill you if "they" feel the value is more then the actual purchase price.

The object of the game (here) is to convince "them" that , as it was, at the time of purchase, the plane had very little "value" due to things such as "out of annual...,  leaking fuel lines, fuel stains, unknown issues due to improper long term storage, the actual cost of repairs (at a FBO... at $80.00/hr naturally...) blaa blaa blaa.

I was originally charged at a "value" of over $45,000.00  ($2700.00 "tax")

That pissed me off... and by the time A&P, IA Steve got done, with the itemized letter and cost estimates, the final  "tax" was $60.00, plus $8.00 penalty and interest. 

Revenge is sweet.

1 person likes this

Posted

I understand about a state tax, but I would be leery about a Federal tax. I don't believe that there are any Luxury taxes on aircraft kits. If it is legit he will receive a letter on official IRS stationary with a bill to be sent to an official IRS address.

Posted

You get what you (don't) vote for.  Elections have consequences.  We are all learning this lesson, now.

(And for the record, there is no federal sales tax, yet.  Your buddy has his governments messed up, state versus fed, or he's being scammed.)

Posted

Ok, my bad. I just called him and he confirmed NYS, not Fed, tax. Not sure if I heard wrong in the original conversation but it makes sense. Gawd, after this year's state budget fiasco, I think us NY taxpayers are just so shell-shocked from another year of crazy-huge tax increases across the board plus a slug of brand new taxes and fees, we don't even know where they're coming from anymore. >('

:biggun: [move]Big Government | Big Government | Big Government |Big Government | Big Government | Big Government[/move]

Posted

ahhh to live in a state with no income tax or state sales tax.. just a local 7% up to a max of $20 per purchase :lol:  now if I can figure out how to keep uncle sam outa my back pocket I would be doing great!

:beerchug:

Posted

Gawd, after this year's state budget fiasco, I think us NY taxpayers are just so shell-shocked from another year of crazy-huge tax increases across the board plus a slug of brand new taxes and fees, we don't even know where they're coming from anymore. >('

Doug, seriously, how you (or anyone) can live in, much less operate a business, in NY amazes me.

Posted

I am the unlucky taxpayer who got caught.  I was told that the tax is on the kit regardless if it is complete or not.  They don't care if it ever gets completed or not.  You have 20 days from purchase of the kit to pay State taxes, after that you are in violation.  I did not have to pay penalties, only intrest and tax from 2005.  Russ. 

Posted

so is this a one time sales tax, or something you have to pay every year?  bout time for a tea party... or a 100LL party at the county assessors doors.  who is bringing the matches?

Posted

oh by the way unlucky guy who got popped for not paying the state tax :lol:  welcome aboard the missfit wagon, enjoy the ride.  :beerchug:

Posted

This is a one time sales tax.  I will drink to your welcome to the site.  Thanks Russ.

Posted

I got tagged for Usage tax on mine in California. I also was given late penalties. The thing did not even show up in the mail until 6 mos after it was due. They got me after I registered mine. The only thing that saved me is I bought it from my Dad and they have some family clause that made me exempt. I still had to mail in the bill of sale and my birth certificate to prove he was my dad...wtf!

Posted

LOL, I just got a bill in the mail from the local burough... total worth $0 total amount due $0.00  :lol:  WTF even waste a stamp on the damn postage :dumbasses:

Posted

Would anyone find paying their subs using their PayPal account useful?

Any way we can make life easier for you good people. 

Andy

Posted (edited)

I don't know what Missouri will do when I register this plane - Never paid any tax on the others.

I bought my material mostly in Alaska.

But, Missouri wants a yearly "Personal Property tax" on all vehicles, animals, etc. 

The tax on my old truck and wife's car was over $300 last year.  Daughter paid $500 on her 2012 Focus!

I might try to register my plane in Alaska?

My buddy now tells me that if you sell a plane here, the state makes you, the seller, pay a 7% tax on the sale.

I plan to be buried in mine, or someone else can worry about it! 

I will tell the wife to put $1 on the bill of sale - screw the thieving politicians!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I had to pay 7% sales tax when I registered with the state.

I pay $9.50 yearly in Indiana. $.01 per pound based on 950# MTOW. :bartmoon: