Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Belly Radiator

6 posts in this topic

Posted

i have decided to not use the cheek radiators but a belly radiator that came with the project.  This is on my Avid HH.  Ron indicated there was an article (here some place) that talked about mounting the unit 1 inch below the belly (not flush) for cooling purposes. If any one has a belly radiator  I would also be interested how and where you placed the filler cap? Also, how did you link and control the flap on the back of the radiator housing? Looking from the front of  the motor I plan to place the filler cap on the right side and back about 3 inches from where the old cheek radiator would have been mounted.  I hope this is adequate clearance from the exhaust heat.

I am open to any other advice on this subject.

Jon

Posted (edited)

i have decided to not use the cheek radiators but a belly radiator that came with the project.  This is on my Avid HH.  Ron indicated there was an article (here some place) that talked about mounting the unit 1 inch below the belly (not flush) for cooling purposes. If any one has a belly radiator  I would also be interested how and where you placed the filler cap? Also, how did you link and control the flap on the back of the radiator housing? Looking from the front of  the motor I plan to place the filler cap on the right side and back about 3 inches from where the old cheek radiator would have been mounted.  I hope this is adequate clearance from the exhaust heat.

I am open to any other advice on this subject.

Jon

If you have cheek rads for sale, I would bet that they would go fast on here.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My radiator hangs just off the belly and I haven't had any heating issues... yet anyways. I know some here have and found that by lowering it just an inch or two that it gets much better airflow for cooling, this may depend on where you fly and how hot it actually gets. as for the fill neck I used one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-91-ARCTIC-CAT-EXT-550-SNOWMOBILE-COOLANT-FUEL-ANTIFREEZE-CAP-LID-HOSE-/161148206423?hash=item25852e7d57&vxp=mtr(you can find it cheaper if you look around) and just cut a small piece of angle aluminum one side bolts to one of the front side engine mount threaded holes on the right side of the engine the other side of the angle bolts to this fill neck. seems to work good I will look for a picture it will make more since. A friend of mine has one similar but the lines come out both sides rather than side and bottom his is mounted on the top of the engine just aft of the gear box. hope this makes since. 

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

I made the same decision and for a couple of reasons.  1) To improve the CG.  2) I was unable to source nose OEM rads at a reasonable price to replace the copper heater core type mine came with  and  3) Cheek rads seemed a complicated set up -- the mounting stanchions were cracked and unservicable and I was looking at considerable reengineering to make cheeks work effectively.

I'm getting ready to run it up soon for the first time.  I am concerned however because it seems not an adequate amount of cooling area for a 65 hp mtr.  That in mind, I made up the aluminum brackets in a way that are adjustable so I can position the radiator for best cooling angle.

I thought of building a shroud to improve airflow but we'll see how this works first.

I have an existing filler neck top side that came w/the original cheek configuration similar to what others mentioned.

The old copper heater cores that used to be in the original configuration -- I've removed 12 lbs that was hanging just behind the prop.  The new cooling configuration is less than 5lbs and just fwd of the main gear.

Here's what I did after acquiring a belly rad from Lenny.

post-640-0-82911400-1426940434.jpgpost-640-0-28780100-1426940436.jpgpost-640-0-48688200-1426940437.jpg

Edited by allonsye
2 people like this

Posted

Glad to see that belly radiator being used instead of sitting on my shelf!  Looks like a stout set up that is easily adjustable.  The only reason I wanted the nose rads was so I could make a belly pod one of these years to make hauling stuff on floats easier for me.

:BC: