Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SPOT Satellite Messenger

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone here using one?  Been thinking about this gadget for flying up here.  Pretty cheap piece of mind

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

:beerchug:

Posted

You would probably just drop it in the lake......

.... and what are the odds that one would could become lost in Alaska?  :D

Actually, it seems like a must-have for where you are and where you go.

Posted

I can fly 10 minutes from the airport and it would take a good rescue effort to find me by normal methods.  I think I have convinced myself to go ahead and order one.  I have seen alot of places that sell them for 150.00 with a 149.99 mail in rebate with subcription activation.  I think it may be the best 100 a year I can spend.

Posted

"I think it may be the best 100 a year I can spend."

I concur.

"I can fly 10 minutes from the airport and it would take a good rescue effort to find me by normal methods."

It would be good with the snow machines too since you can ride farther in 10 minutes then you could walk out in 3 days.

Posted

A couple guys in our group have them, their wives love 'em!  ;D

Posted

Yeah, but did he get his fancy blue tooth headset thingy to work?  :hammerhead:

Posted

Leni,

I've heard that we're right on the edge of their satellite coverage and reception is spotty.  Does anyone in your area use one? I Think I'd give Eagle Enterprises a call and see if they recommend using Spot, or if there is a better system for use in AK.  Their business is emergency equipment and should know how well Spot works up here. 

Jack

Their number is (907) 562-2331, 700 W International Airport Rd.

Posted

I talked to my cousin who picked one up last year.  He said he gave it to his FIL who was using it in his cherokee 6 all over the state and they said it shoed his track and messages just fine.  If you look at the coverage map, about 99% of the state has full coverage.

I know it has full coverage in any of the areas I would be flying the Avid to or riding the snowmachines, or taking out on the boat.

Posted

Yeah, but did he get his fancy blue tooth headset thingy to work?   :hammerhead:

Nope, never did. He ended up taking it back the next a.m. before we left. Vendor said the thing works fine with most BT cell phone brands, not so good with others. Ya think they woulda told him that BEFORE he bought, eh?

Posted

I got one for Christmas last year from my wife and now I can't hide anyplace. lol Just kidding but she likes it when I turn on the tracking so she sees where I'm flying. And she likes it when I remember to send her the "I'm okay message when I'm late getting home. You're right, best peace of mind I've ever found. Actually I trust it more that the 121.5 ELT. And I can send a message to friends if I need help that isn't urgent too.

That's my 2 cents worth,

Posted

Does Spot use a stationary satellite or one that makes passes overhead?  If it's stationary you could end up with a line-of-sight problem.  Did you hear anything about that?  The system sure is cheap, but I wonder if there are any limitations?  My luck, I'd be behind a mountain if it was needed.  I like the idea of being able to send messages with it, can't do that with a GPS I don't think

Jack. 

Posted

with any piece of rescue equipt, there may be ways you can hide from the sky.  I think I will happily take my chances and hope that I dont go down in the .01% of the state that does not have full coverage. 

Posted

Check out the handheld Fast Find 210 waterproof 406 MHz Personal Location Beacon (PLB) with GPS. It transmits two signals simultaneously, one to the subscription free global 406 MHz satellite system and the other to 121.5MHz.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/index.php

Posted

Leni,

Looks like SPOT has really expanded their coverage area.  Let us know how it works.

Jack

Doug,

Do you know if Canada has decided to allow planes passing through to use hand-held ELTs?

Posted

Jack - IIRC, Canada originally agreed to allow handheld 406 PLBs for US registered aircraft overflying CA airspace for a 2-yr period while legislation language was finalized. Issue was whether a fixed panel mount activated automatically upon crash impact (rather than manually activated PLB) should be mandatory for all aircraft. I heard from a Canadian at OSH this year that the current draft legislation OK'ed handheld PLBs for US registered aircraft overflying CA airspace so unless changed it may be a go. I do not know if that is accurate, or if different for CA registered aircraft, but sure would be good if true.

Posted

I don't want to be accused of passing bad info so I did a quick check that seems to support what I had heard.

New 406 ELT Rule in Canada Put on Hold

Minister of Transport sends it back to CARAC

May 6, 2009 — The upcoming transition to a new rule in Canada requiring 406 MHz emergency locator transmitters in nearly all general aviation aircraft operating in that country was put on hold this week by John Baird, Canada’s Minister of Transport, says Kevin Psutka, president of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA). Psutka met recently with Transport Canada officials arguing that the rule as written was not workable.

“The regulation as written was unachievable because the allowed alternatives (to installed 406 MHz ELTs) do not exist,” Psutka told EAA on Wednesday. “My argument that this rule was immature was apparently accepted, and the Minister sent it back to the CARAC (Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council) for revision.”

CARAC is a joint effort of government and the aviation community including participation from organizations representing operators, manufacturers and professional associations.

One of the alternatives Psutka is pushing for is approval of 406 MHz PLBs (personal locator beacons) or tracking devices instead of the significantly more expensive installed ELTs.

Psutka was quick to say that this development does not eliminate the new rule. “Where it stands: the CARAC will reconvene, and my understanding is that the earliest this will happen is the third week of June,” he said. If everything went as swiftly as possible, a new final rule addressing the Minister’s concerns would be announced no earlier that the end of August, he added. Meanwhile, pilots that have yet to upgrade to the 406 MHz ELTs can continue operating legally with the older 121.5 MHz units, although Psutka cautioned that search and rescue satellites no longer monitor the older frequency.

Denis Browne, chairman of the EAA Canadian Council, was glad to learn that the public would have more input on the rule through the CARAC. “We would like to see the end-users given more opportunity for feedback on potential alternative compliance, such as PLBs, and other ways of dealing with the new technology,” he said. “There also has not been full consideration of the effect of this new rule on international traffic and how to accommodate air tourism. The CARAC usually considers such recommendations.”

EAA reported in December 2008 that Transport Canada was moving forward with its rule to require 406 MHz units on board within two years of February 1, 2009. Exemptions to allow for a transition period were in the works. Psutka said if the PLBs or tracker devices were approved as alternative devices under the new rule, there likely would not be a transition period written into the revised rule.

Because the FAA does not plan to adopt the 406 MHz ICAO standard in the U.S., EAA feels most American aircraft owners will likely choose not to spend the estimated $1,000 (plus installation) to equip their aircraft, resulting in a sharp decline in tourism and business flights by U.S.-registered aircraft into Canada. From May 2007 to May 2008, the Canada Border Services Agency processed more than 63,000 foreign private aircraft, roughly 90 percent U.S.-registered.

Source http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-05-06_elt.asp

Posted

Thanks Doug. Good info.

Jack

Posted

update on this one... I picked one up and have used it around the peninsula.  I have hit the button on the west side of the inlet, around the Kenai / Soldotna area, in the pass on the way to seward (it was crappy, raining and a low ceiling so I was not sure if it would get out or not but it did even with heavy cloud cover) and all over cook inlet.  So far, every message I have sent out was picked up by every one on my notify list right away.  This is a cool gadget for those of us who live and fly in an area with limited cell phone service.  The ability to tell the folks at home not to worry, we are just late due to weather etc has already proven its worth to me!  I was out on a flight and it was one of those days when you think it will just be a quick flight so you tell the other half that she should be hearing from you in an hour or so... well then the sun comes out,. the wind stops and you just decide you need to fly for a few more hours... hit the I am OK button and she no longer worried because you are now several hours overdue!