Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

P-38

20 posts in this topic

Posted

KFfan,

In the Army we carried a tiny can-opener called the P38.

A WW2 pilot told me that the P-38 was a "HOT" plane to fly, but at altitude he wrapped an extra flight jacket around his feet to keep them from freezing since there was little or no heat on them.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I think my favorite P-38 story is of Robin Olds claiming to be the only P-38 pilot credited with a kill while both engines were flamed out! He got so excited when he spotted multiple enemy fighters that when he dropped the external fuel tanks to reduce drag and weight he forgot to switch the fuel system to internal tanks. Right as he closed in on the first guy both engines flamed out. He squeezed the trigger, got the kill, then dove to do a restart. With the next enemy now on his tail he began picking up some crazy speed. He got them restarted, but was dangerously low on altitude and very high on speed which caused problems with the aerodynamics of the P-38, reducing elevator authority, he pulled as hard as he could and pulled enough Gs that he cracked the canopy, and he barley missed hitting the dirt! I believe he went on to get another kill in that battle.

Robin Olds...the Fighter Pilot of all Fighter Pilots...Respect...

Posted (edited)

Lest we no forget, Capt Bong the highest scoring (40) US ace of WW2 drove the forked tail devil in the pacific theatre.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

He was from Wisconsin, btw...

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

As a kid, I thought they were the coolest airplane. Of course that was based on looks. I liked the Beech "V" tails also.

Posted (edited)

Then you know why I just had to get an Ercoupe - Got a photo of it under the wing of a split-tail B25, that belongs to the CAF at St. Charles, Missouri...

Yes, they were parked - at Dexter, Missouri!

EDMO

BTW: Ercoupe flying may be fairly easy for a starting pilot, but an experienced pilot has to learn a new way of landing and forget all about what he had been doing with conventional controls! A new learning curve, driving without pedals, and landing in a crab with crosswinds!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

KFfan,

In the Army we carried a tiny can-opener called the P38.

A WW2 pilot told me that the P-38 was a "HOT" plane to fly, but at altitude he wrapped an extra flight jacket around his feet to keep them from freezing since there was little or no heat on them.

EDMO

I still have my father's P38. It will pass to one of my daughters on my demise. Her husband is a Army lifer with 14 years in and about to head east for the 3rd time.

Posted

Then you know why I just had to get an Ercoupe - Got a photo of it under the wing of a split-tail B25, that belongs to the CAF at St. Charles, Missouri...

Yes, they were parked - at Dexter, Missouri!

EDMO

BTW: Ercoupe flying may be fairly easy for a starting pilot, but an experienced pilot has to learn a new way of landing and forget all about what he had been doing with conventional controls! A new learning curve, driving without pedals, and landing in a crab with crosswinds!

EDMO

I was considering Ercoupe before I bought the KF. One of my daughters thought it would be cool to get my ticket in an airplane as old as me. The advantage of the KF is the folding wings. Hanger space is at a premium around me, unless I want to drive 50 miles. I can keep the KF in the garage and drag it 1 mile to the airport when the mood strikes.

Some of the Ercoupes have rudder pedals...

Posted (edited)

I was considering Ercoupe before I bought the KF. One of my daughters thought it would be cool to get my ticket in an airplane as old as me. The advantage of the KF is the folding wings. Hanger space is at a premium around me, unless I want to drive 50 miles. I can keep the KF in the garage and drag it 1 mile to the airport when the mood strikes.

Some of the Ercoupes have rudder pedals...

Mine didn't have pedals, but I hear they are not as effective as T-tails rudders.

I carried my P38 in my wallet for years, until they got fussy at the airports - think I may still have it? I lost a lot in my house fire, but still carry one of my dogtags, which is about 56 years old now.

I can get a hanger about 50 miles from home, nearest airport is 25 miles.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There is a place here in Colorado Springs restoring a couple of P-38s. I haven't checked it out yet, but it is right by Peterson AFB. Just ask at any airfield in C Springs and somebody will know where it is.

Also, June 6, 2015 in Pueblo, CO the Pueblo Weisbrod Museum is having a family fun day and there will be a B-25 from the Commemorative Air Force giving rides. I believe they charge for the ride, but it should cost too much. There is a young Eagles rally that day in Pueblo too that my chapter is putting on. So if you are hauling the Kids through Colorado this Summer there are some good stops!

Posted

When that B-25 was here they only wanted $250, I think, for a ride. I know it was substantially in excess of $100.

Posted

$400 to ride on the B25 for an hour at my field. That's about the same as they charge for a short flight on the Aluminum Overcast.

Posted

Dang, that's a lot of $! I guess that is a rich Family day!

Posted

Hey all -

Some of you know I have been involved with many W.A.S.P. recognition projects. Sad fact is, we are losing the very last of our early war veterans and it is more important than ever to preserve their stories for future generations who benefitted from their service. FYI, there is a similar project in the works to highlight the lives and stories of America's Fighter Aces. I found this blurb on the EAA website and thought I'd share in case you wish to contribute to their Kickstarter campaign HERE

Fighter Aces Book to be Published in 2016

Of the 1450 pilots of all services who have attained Ace status, there are less than 90 still with us, and most of them are in their 90s. To honor their service, a team of professionals, Nick Del Calzo (lead photographer and executive producer) and Peter Collier (author), the same team that produced the well-known book about Medal of Honor recipients titled Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty, are producing another book. This book is to commemorate the accomplishments of American Fighter Aces and is titled Wings of Valor: Honoring America's Fighter Aces, to be published in 2016. This will be a high quality book with portraits and stories of some 80 Aces (including four MOH recipients), most of whom are still living, some of whom are now deceased. The photography is complete, and the stories will be completed this summer.

The Naval Institute Press will be the books publisher.

In order to obtain full funding for the production costs, a crowdfunding effort has begun through Kickstarter, a funding platform on the web. Please consider is this: distribute the links below to your fellow aviation enthusiasts, pilots, squadron & chapter leaders around the country, and also any other groups or sources you think may be interested. EAA Warbirds of America looks forward to seeing this project come to fruition.

For more information on this exciting project, visit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wov/wings-of-valor-honoring-americas-fighter-aces

Other links:

www.WingsofValor.us

www.AmericanFighterAces.org

Posted

I was cleaning out the back porch of my Mother's house last year and ran across my old mess kit.  These would be from the 60s.  Thats the last time I ate a C-rat.

post-130-0-43752600-1427576046_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Being a radio operator, we used to run our trucks all night - Nothing better in the middle of the night, than a can of rations that had been sitting on the hot exhaust manifold for a few minutes! Germany 1960-62.

I was a toolmaker/machinist most of my life - Until I finally retired and became an A&P Amateur Builder.

One of the guys I used to work with in St. Louis said that he made dies to stamp out the P38s. I never asked him what company he worked for. We both worked for McDonnell Aircraft which was bought by Boeing. McDonnell had bought out the Curtis Aircraft company that he had worked for here in St. Louis.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

More P-38 trivia than you probably care to know.  Here's the different stamps on my collection.

US Shelby CORP

US kay 1962

US Speaker

On the unopened packages

J.W. Speaker Corp, Milwaukee 12 Wis.  1951 Pat. No. R. E. 22934

Kay Tool & Die INC.  Union City Tenn.

G. G. Green, Warren Pa, USA

1 person likes this

Posted

Those were made with progressive die stamps - about 5 or 6 stages - I saw a sample of each stage - Never looked at mine to see company name, if it has one.

EDMO

Posted

No name on the WW II version I have.

Posted

No name on the WW II version I have.

May not be a name on mine - some of the rations we ate in 60-62 were packed in 1943.

EDMO

Posted

Well, that probably adds 20 years to your lifespan..

You did swallow, didn't you?