Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cable operated enrichers (choke) 582

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Those of you with cable operated enrichers, what cable systems are you using to control them?  I have the enrichers that will accept a swege but I dont want spaghetti in terms of operating them. 

Posted

McFarlane makes the best cable on the market these days, IMO.  They aren't cheap, but unlike the rest they are very well made and dependable.

Posted

Those cables could reach half way to the elevators!

Hmmm. New possibility for trim control?  :deadhorse:

Posted

Those cables could reach half way to the elevators!

Hmmm. New possibility for trim control?  :deadhorse:

Ditto that!

Posted

This is what came with my Kitfox Classic 4 kit.  It came with two shorter cables attached.  Two longer cables were included with instructions to file the Carb end swedges down to the look and size of the shorter ones and use them to replace the short ones.  It looks like a snowmobile choke (enricher) lever to me.

Kitfox part number is 49013 Choke Cable Assembly.  The longer cables are part numbers 47004 and 47018.

post-130-0-02026900-1427732004_thumb.jpg

Posted

I am thinking about making my own using bicycle brake/shifter cable parts and fabricating a lever type control under the panel somewhere.

Dan

Posted

Here's one that looks like it on Ebay.  May have to put longer cables on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-7080290-Dual-Carb-Mikuni-Choke-Cable-/400789462330?vxp=mtr&hash=item5d50e9dd3a

I had considered ordering one of the Mikuni double cables but they are all too short and I didn't know the cables could be changed. I may have to revisit this option.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Just out of curiosity why enrichers over a primer?

Posted

I run the enrichers on my 582. Came with the kit as well as a primer. I decided I didn't want the tygon fuel tubing in the cockpit and the enrichers seem to work fine for me.

Posted

The enrichers work good for me until it gets cold...below about 30 F, then I have to crank for about 30 seconds to get it to start.  I added a primer and it starts in about 3 seconds of cranking or less in all temperatures.

Also...about 20 years ago there was a guy on the old Kitfox email list that lived in White Horse.  The fuel pump went out on his 912 powered kitfox over the Saskatchewan Bush and he kept it running with the primer long enough to reach a clear spot to land.  Ever since I read his post about that I figured a primer was good insurance. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a primer, works good. Just want to have both.

Posted

One issue with a primer is if you have oil injection, every time you prime, you are shooting strait gas in the cylinders with no oil on start up. Has it ever been an issue Probably not, but it is something I think about every time I start a 2 stroke, I love Oil injection and will not fly with out it, also love the way it starts with a few shots of primer.

Posted

My II has both. I wondering how easy it is to flood it.

Posted

My II has both. I wondering how easy it is to flood it.

On a cold engine mine usually takes a couple pumps until I feel a resistance on the push.  Thats when it is squirting the fuel into the intakes.  Then two or three  more pumps will do it.  On a warm engine I crank without priming and it usually starts right up.  If it cranks more than about 5 seconds without starting I give it one pump and it starts.

Posted

Thanks for the tip and instruction of what works for you

Posted

One issue with a primer is if you have oil injection, every time you prime, you are shooting strait gas in the cylinders with no oil on start up. Has it ever been an issue Probably not, but it is something I think about every time I start a 2 stroke, I love Oil injection and will not fly with out it, also love the way it starts with a few shots of primer.

Ah... but the injection oil is always there working regardless of where the fuel source comes from (as they are separate streams), or even if there is no fuel at all..