Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WTB: Flaperon Counterweights for a KF Model III

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for a nice set of used counterweights (or NOS) for a KF Model III.

Please drop me a line if you have a set you are willing to part with.

Larry S.

Posted

Larry,

If you don't get an offer, I have a set of Ercoupe counterweights that you could probably use - they are more streamlined than the Kitfox weights.

EDMO

Posted

I may have a pair. I'll let you know.

Posted

I thought we all, I think, possessed a "pair"...   :dunno:

Posted

Well apparently you missed the News Flash about EDMO's undecended testicle... which technically means he does NOT have a pair and might actually help explain his proclivity and fondness for nosegear.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ouch! A "low" blow.... ;-) Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Here's a pic of the extra counterweights I have. Not sure if they were Avid or KF but I believe the flapperons were the same with regard to the flat lower surface.

post-53-0-85953000-1428030752_thumb.jpg

[edit] Jim, I know, can you believe it? Especially for a guy they used to call El Huevo Tremendo back in the day! We better be careful, all this ball busting could leave Ed with an empty duffel bag!

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Ed has a full bag and a full hanger!

I guess I am going to have to find a photo of one of my taildraggers for an avatar!

Those flaperon weights must be Avid - The only Kitfox ones I have seen look like a T.

Wife has given me orders, to start getting rid of extra stuff, because it will cost too much to dig a hole big enough,

to bury me with it!

Has anyone been buried in a Kitfox fuselage or gunsafe?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Ed you are correct Sir. Kitfox used T-style counterweights and these weights are the same as I have for the A+. Must have had an extra set from my Mk-IV.

Posted

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think they actually look like this:

DSCN2744%202_zps6uxmgskg.jpg

Posted (edited)

The Avid type that Doug has should work just as well as the Kitfox type - it is same wing / flaperon.

After all, the Kitfoxes are just modified Avid clones.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Larry - Pic is of my old KF3 wings with the T-style weights, they are the same on my model 4. The extra Avid weights I have will fit your KF if you are inclined to mix 'n match.

post-53-0-43614300-1428202766_thumb.jpg

Posted

They are available from Kitfox direct - $78, P/N 29011.000

Posted

Larry, Is that $78 each, or a pair?

EDMO

Posted

Dunno.  That's the listing in the catalog.  If I were to bet, I'd say each…  153tc08.gif

Posted

My F7A arms and counter weights just arrived. I bought them from Brett at air dale. the workman ship on the f7a arms is really nice but the work on the counter weights is pretty crude. but i believe I can clean them up a bit. the biggest issue I had with Brett was He said pay me and I will get them out at the end of the week. Lol 30 days later they showed up. I probably could have been a pain and called him once a week but I hate it when people do that to me.

post-999-0-23724800-1428454394_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'm glad you got your parts from Brett that quickly.  Honestly he will never improve his practices unless he is told of his shortcomings.  Repeatedly.

Posted

I am impressed.. the last thing I ordered from airdale was a tail ski.. I had called and talked to him about it, then about 4 or 5 months later I noticed a change on my CC.. then a month or two later I got the tail ski.  I had totally forgot I had even ordered it when a box showed up at the house :lol:

Glad he got the parts out in a pretty quick time frame for you but I don't like hearing about poor workmanship on welded parts.... but then welding QC is my profession so I am a bit passionate about it :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It looks like like Brett is making them a little different now compared to what have from the old Airdale company.

[edit] Actually, it's all coming back to me now. I recall that the 'standard' Avid counterweights were a one-piece affair. Based on TJay's pic, it appears Brett at Airdale Sportplane is producing weights based on that design. However, my A+ kit was provided with a different 2-pc design where the lead weight was inside a separate steel tube that slipped into a slightly larger diameter steel tube which is welded to the mounting plate which rivets to the flaperon. The flat end of the smaller weight tube is closed off with a flat washer welded on. The instructions, I believe, were to Hysol the 'pointy end' of the weight tube inside the larger slip tube, then you simply drill out the necessary amount of lead thru the washer hole on the end when following the flaperon balancing procedure in the manual. These 2-pc weights were also sold by Avid as an upgrade option. I got mine in the box 'o parts when I originally bought my Mk-IV kit but sold the plane with the old style weights, ergo, an extra set of the upgraded weights in my parts inventory.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the replies and offers to help here.

And thanks for this lead.  I ordered a set today.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

There is a really good bunch of builders and flyers on here - They are really earnest about trying to help each other -

Not like some other sites where they spend their time bashing someone who admitted putting a part on their bird that was not "Factory Approved"!

After all, isn't that why we want to be "experimental", other than saving $$$....

Good Luck with getting your flaperons going and flying that bird!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just as an update to this old thread - I have a set of Kitfox 4 or later T-shaped flaperon weights now for sale.  The brackets may be a little long for Avid or Kitfox 1-3, but could be shortened.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO