Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

High country Wide gear

27 posts in this topic

Posted

High country built me a set of his gear and I couldn't be happier with it. Its 7 and a half feet wide and around four inches up over the stock. Twenty two inches wider at the brake backing plate .The quality is top notch and the handling is great .I even landed on a plowed field cross grain and the gear soaked it up .most importantly I was able to seal up the old bungee hole in the bottom of the plane. I covered mine and made up some streamlined bungee covers. At 1400.00 the price was great too.(plus shipping)  I ran it all the way down our runway on the mains right on the centerline. so I think the alignment is perfect. Here are a couple pictures

post-574-0-71807000-1428181936_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-29978600-1428182020_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-61584100-1428182257_thumb.jpg

6 people like this

Posted

A couple more pics .

post-574-0-28225400-1428187387_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-21981500-1428187479_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-87744300-1428187567_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Dyno I have the same gear but have yet use it because I'm building my plane ,did it affect your speed? Also did you make the bungee covers, they look great ,jbird

1 person likes this

Posted

I did make the bungee covers .they are fabric over lexan former attached with velcro.awesome gear here is the before and after.six inches higher at the spinner.

post-574-0-10656800-1428189719_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-39321800-1428189846_thumb.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

That looks like a big improvement, might have to put on the to do list

Posted

Fly it 50-60 hrs then go back to stock it sucks! I am going back to the wide gear real soon and can't wait! Love your bird!!

Posted

Fly it 50-60 hrs then go back to stock it sucks! I am going back to the wide gear real soon and can't wait! Love your bird!!

How about specifics Joey?

EDMO

Posted

Now that's good looking landing gear! phone number email address please.....

Posted

thanks its a whole new plane on the ground.i did the dual caliper mod at the same time.sure stops better too.

Nukapoint..the gear was made by high country on this site.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good Mike glad to hear its working out for you. Any chance we could get some details w pics on the bungee fairings and the brake mod. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Sure thing ,ill try to remember to get some today.

Posted

:beerchug: Looks great! Give us details on the rest of the plane. Is it stretched? Soob engine? Horse power? Any extra weight on the tail? I notice you have the rad quite far back. Copper pipes to run coolant back and forth? 

Posted

Its not stretched , subaru ,100 hp, the rudder has maybe three or four pounds of bobs, and yes copper pipes to the rad .it seems to cool well.

high country.here are some pics of the strut covers and the matco dual caliper plate .

post-574-0-14430200-1428531448_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-71596900-1428531489_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-62944300-1428531528_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-12411200-1428531590_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-15711200-1428531626_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Mike,

That looks awesome! I love the wide stance!

The bar welded across the top of the "V" is an interesting idea...it is definitely a good way to limit the outward force being transferred onto the mounts and lower tubes of the fuselage.

Did you toe in or out or neutral?

In level flight or three point stance?

I was always under the impression you needed a little toe in, but a guy at our airport just fixed his tracking problems by using toe out in level flight...so now I'm not sure!

Anyway, great work! I still love that paint job!

Ron

Posted

I think toed in slightly when at three point stance.i think the stock was toed out on the left side which made it a little twitchy ,it goes straight now

Posted

One of the arguments against being toed in is if you are starting to ground loop, the wheel on the outside of the turn naturally wants to steer it more into the ground loop, whereas in toed out, the wheel is trying to steer out of the ground loop. Lots of arguments I suppose both ways, but straight or slightly toed out seems to make sense to me. Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Agreed, Jim.

Posted

been off line for a while, looks like I need to get caught up :)

I've heard arguments both ways so to keep it simple and let the final user do what they want via tweeking the axles I set all my gears straight ahead. In fact when I weld them on I have a piece of tubing going from inside one across and into the other while they are bolted into a jig that holds the legs just as they would be when installed into the plane. I will see if I have any pictures of doing this. then just for kicks they are cross squared before welding. As for my personal gear I have just left it square and have never had any issues with it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

straight it is then .flew again today and just am amazed at the handling .the increased height is already allowing me to land close to 10 mph slower as I can flare harder and not hit tail first like I use to in three points at that speed .

3 people like this

Posted

That was the biggest advantage I found as well.

Posted

Looks great Mike.  Your plane just keeps getting better.  I am in total agreement that the wider / taller gear is sure nice for off airport flying.

Posted

Thanks randy .im having a blast with my new suspension. Found this little track today thats usually under water near spotted bear usfs strip.it was rough but the gear soaked it up.

post-574-0-37359000-1430791186_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Hello Dynomike
My name is Nicola and I live in Italy.
I own a kitfox IV with a subaru EA 81 engine.
I saw the pictures of your kitfox and I really like it.
  I mount the classic landing gear but I would like to upgrade and mount the cart like yours. In Italy there are no such pieces then I wanted to find a contact to be able to evaluate an expedition. I hope you can help me with this little collaboration. Thank you

Posted

Love the gear - do you have a phone number / contact information for High Country? I am looking to get this gear made for my Avid - really appreciate the info!

Posted

I’m interested in that gear as well for my Avid. Looks like an awesome improvement. Anyone know if Highlander is still selling them?