Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Removing 20 Year Old Paper from Plexi

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I know this has been covered a few times but thought I would through out something that has worked well for me.

I am trying to get off 20 yr old paper and had been making rather slow and difficult progress with Goo Gone and Simple Green.

Today I tried "Goof Off Citris Gel".  Worked fabulously.

It goes on heavy (its a gel), then cover it with Saran Warp.

After doing this I came back 3 hours later and the old paper and glue came right off.  

They do make a clear industrial clear liquid (in a can) that harms the plexi (dont ask).

The citus gel does not though.

Larry S.
1 person likes this

Posted

Larry,

Thanks for the information.  It's always good to have options when dealing with old plexi. Did the gel work best at the edges where you had partially removed the paper or equally well on areas where the paper was still intact? The last time I had to deal with old plexi I used my heat gun, it took a while, but eventually the glue gave up and came loose. I did end up with an area where the lexan wasn't perfectly clear but it is in areas where it doesn't cause any problems. Thanks again.

Jackak 

Posted

Oh man...I'm going to have to try it. If it works I'm going to have an extra set of everything laying around...just bought and cut out new lexan.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

It worked everywhere.  Found it goes even faster of you place a gell soaked paper towel betweeb the plexi and the saran wrap.  Let it sit for several hours and everything wipes right off.

Posted

Thanks Larry.

Jackak